NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Idiopathic, Axonial PN. Mostly weakness, anyone similar? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/252996-idiopathic-axonial-pn-weakness-similar.html)

Lerch 02-09-2019 05:26 PM

Idiopathic, Axonial PN. Mostly weakness, anyone similar?

Hi everyone, I'm new and I hoping the experienced hands on this board can offer some advice. I was diagnosed with axonial polyneuropathy this summer. My main problem is weakness. Looking back, I first noticed a deterioration in my typing 2016/17, and had numbness in both feet/toes, although my right toe had been numb for 15+ years, along with a weak right quad, which I'm pretty sure is my back, which is what got me to a neurology workup in the first place.

Over the summer, it became obvious to me I had calf/foot weakness and weakness in my hands, forearms, and likely bicep/triceps. The leg issues were confirmed by emg, and the only thing noted for arms was a pinched nerve in the wrist.

Starting in early December, I noticed my quads had gotten weaker/unstable and this slowly continued into the holidays, with some involvement of the R quad as well. I got another EMG 1/3/19, only R leg which had the longstanding issue, and the doctor (Hopkins) said that I had a normal emg. It's since become even clearer that the right leg has developed similar weakness to the left.

I either have some sort of conversion disorder, or the emg is wrong, or something else. I've had all of the standard blood tests, so I can't imagine something else. It's driving me nuts, and my wife already thinks this is in my head, making the situation event harder to deal with. Feeling a bit desperate.

Any similar experiences, suggestions? Thanks!

PS, I should note there is an online review of the emg doc with an odd 'normal' emg eval that sounds like mine. Not me though.

sprcko 02-20-2019 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerch (Post 1272273)
Hi everyone, I'm new and I hoping the experienced hands on this board can offer some advice. I was diagnosed with axonial polyneuropathy this summer. My main problem is weakness. Looking back, I first noticed a deterioration in my typing 2016/17, and had numbness in both feet/toes, although my right toe had been numb for 15+ years, along with a weak right quad, which I'm pretty sure is my back, which is what got me to a neurology workup in the first place.

Over the summer, it became obvious to me I had calf/foot weakness and weakness in my hands, forearms, and likely bicep/triceps. The leg issues were confirmed by emg, and the only thing noted for arms was a pinched nerve in the wrist.

Starting in early December, I noticed my quads had gotten weaker/unstable and this slowly continued into the holidays, with some involvement of the R quad as well. I got another EMG 1/3/19, only R leg which had the longstanding issue, and the doctor (Hopkins) said that I had a normal emg. It's since become even clearer that the right leg has developed similar weakness to the left.

I either have some sort of conversion disorder, or the emg is wrong, or something else. I've had all of the standard blood tests, so I can't imagine something else. It's driving me nuts, and my wife already thinks this is in my head, making the situation event harder to deal with. Feeling a bit desperate.

Any similar experiences, suggestions? Thanks!

PS, I should note there is an online review of the emg doc with an odd 'normal' emg eval that sounds like mine. Not me though.

Naime is axonal,not axonial,i have

Lerch 02-20-2019 04:58 PM

Hi sprcko, how are you doing? What kind of symptoms do you have?