NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Resveratrol (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/253131-resveratrol.html)

Lerch 03-05-2019 06:07 PM

Resveratrol

Has anyone tried resveratrol for PN? There's some info that it may be neuroprotective: see 2nd paragraph in "Introduction" Selective antagonism of muscarinic receptors is neuroprotective in peripheral neuropathy
also:Effects of resveratrol on nerve functions, oxidative stress and DNA fragmentation in experimental diabetic neuropathy. - PubMed - NCBI
and others, but also some studies saying it may increase the risk of dimentia.....

Streetlegal 03-05-2019 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerch (Post 1273115)
Has anyone tried resveratrol for PN? There's some info that it may be neuroprotective: see 2nd paragraph in "Introduction" Selective antagonism of muscarinic receptors is neuroprotective in peripheral neuropathy
also:Effects of resveratrol on nerve functions, oxidative stress and DNA fragmentation in experimental diabetic neuropathy. - PubMed - NCBI
and others, but also some studies saying it may increase the risk of dimentia.....

Interesting. I tried grape seed extract for a while, but have never heard of Resveratrol. From a cursory glance online it seems that the former is derived from grapes, the latter their skins.

I'm guessing that grape seed extract must have been listed somewhere as a benefit for neuropathy . . . ? Anyway, I stopped taking it.

I'm interested in what other folks might have to add about this.

Paul

caroline2 03-07-2019 02:40 PM

I've posted about grape seed extract here and I'm taking it going on 24 yrs. It is good for everything in our body system and their issues.

Story on a friend with 30 yrs of neuropathy and taking all the drugs and living with all the side effects, she is mainstream big time, but when I finally got her to get on grape seed extract she got rid of the drugs and the side effects. She's taking grape seed ex probably 8 yrs or more now, has her adult daughter on it as she believes in it so much.

I would NOT be without it in my 80 yr life. I deal with nerve damage from surgery but I'm much more than the nerve issues in my life. Grape Seed Ex MAY prevent cancer(s) which is what got me on it in 1995, during a lecture on it with some MD's and researchers....

caroline2 03-07-2019 03:11 PM

PS: This is the product my friend uses and buys for her daughter. Seems to work for her. I used one bottle years ago but I don't get to Costco so I use plain ole Grape Seed Extract, 200mg caps two times a day.

https://www.costco.com/trunature-Grape-Seed-and-Resveratrol%2c-150-Tablets-.product.100325746.html

Looking at the link it seems to be on back order.

caroline2 03-07-2019 03:44 PM

I just noticed the comment about "increased dementia"...well I'm counting on it a LOT to keep my mind working good until I leave this mother earth. Here is a link I had posted here already.

https://www.neurotalk.org/alzheimer-...d-extract.html

Lerch 03-07-2019 04:53 PM

Thanks Caroline! I think I'm going to give grapeseed a try, I'm encourage to hear it haw worked for you for a good period! I also plan to try l carnatine too, MrsD recommends it for weakness, which is my main problem.

Cheers,
John

Streetlegal 03-07-2019 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lerch (Post 1273167)
Thanks Caroline! I think I'm going to give grapeseed a try, I'm encourage to hear it haw worked for you for a good period! I also plan to try l carnatine too, MrsD recommends it for weakness, which is my main problem.

Cheers,
John

Let us know which brand you decide to purchase, please! I looked on Amazon and--as is common with supplements--quickly got confused over the best form of resveratrol, resveratrol vs trans-resveratrol etc . . .

caroline2 03-08-2019 06:44 PM

Did a couple of you both look at the Costco brand my friend with neuropathy buys and has been using for at least 8 yrs now. It's posted a couple posts above.

Lerch 03-09-2019 02:55 PM

Hi Paul and Caroline. I think I'm going to go with Caroline's suggestion of the TruNature grapeseed and resveratrol combo to see how it goes. I'm thinking of changing my co q10 from the cheap stuff to the ubiquinol form and adding l carnatine which MrsD recommended for weakness. I need to decide how to make the changes so I don't confound my variables....

Cheers,
John

Marlene 03-10-2019 10:06 AM

topical cream or gel

There's a topical cream/gel with resveratrol you might want to check out. It's called Ted's pain cream. There's cream which is scented from the wintergreen in it or you can opt for the gel that is unscented.

I can't say whether it's effective on PN but you never know until you try.