NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Antidepressants for neuropathy? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/253220-antidepressants-neuropathy.html)

AtticusFalcon 03-18-2019 04:17 PM

Antidepressants for neuropathy?

I've read that some neurologists prescribe AD's for neuropathy relief?

Is anyone on them for this?

Does it help?

Thanks in advance.

liquidz1 03-21-2019 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtticusFalcon (Post 1273578)
I've read that some neurologists prescribe AD's for neuropathy relief?

Is anyone on them for this?

Does it help?

Thanks in advance.

Nortriptyline works pretty well for me

DavidHC 03-22-2019 09:57 AM

Yes, I was prescribed Nortriptyline early on but never filled the Rx. Low does Nortriptyline is often prescribed by some neurologists.

adelina 03-23-2019 12:20 AM

Yes

Hi. I am on venlafaxine and it has moderately helped. Tried wellbutren but it depressed me severely. Wishing you the greatest of luck!

AtticusFalcon 03-25-2019 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adelina (Post 1273772)
Hi. I am on venlafaxine and it has moderately helped. Tried wellbutren but it depressed me severely. Wishing you the greatest of luck!

I have been on Wellbutrin before and it didn't work for me.

I was also on venlafaxine and another SNRI in the past. Both caused increased in blood pressure and weight gain, so I got off of them. And SNRI's -- from my experience -- are notorious for causing metabolic issues. Of course, I took them before my present issue, but I've heard that tricyclics are often used.

I'll talk to my neurologist about this when I see him.

Altered sensation in any extremity -- formally diagnosed or not -- is very dispiriting. I wonder how people deal with this and live comfortably on a daily basis. When my symptoms flare up, I get so down and lose focus and interest in anything and everything.

beatle 03-27-2019 12:18 AM

I’ve tried Citalopram, Venlafaxine, Cymbalta and Savella and experienced horrendous side effects with each. No more antidepressants for me.

Ginseng 04-04-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AtticusFalcon (Post 1273578)
Some neurologists prescribe AD's for neuropathy relief? Does it help?

Antidepressants have never helped me for anything, certainly not depression or pain. sigh

HEIDGAR 07-02-2020 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liquidz1 (Post 1273710)
Nortriptyline works pretty well for me

have you had any side effects with nortriptyline?
I have been prescribed 30 mg at night, and I worry about weight gain because I'm already chubby.
For how long did you take? I have read people taking it for years, I'm so afraid, but the burning sensation and pain is so bad. I have not yet started it. thank you for your time

caroline2 07-02-2020 01:17 PM

A/D's are handed out like candy from the docs who have nothing to offer. They are bandaids like so much many of the clueless docs use. Work to calm your neuropathy and I sure have posted plenty here on that one. Our bodies are NOT anti depressant deficient. Good luck...... Use this forum's neuropathy for support....there is infinite info to consider.

Blueboat 07-05-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline2 (Post 1287334)
A/D's are handed out like candy from the docs who have nothing to offer. They are bandaids like so much many of the clueless docs use. Work to calm your neuropathy and I sure have posted plenty here on that one. Our bodies are NOT anti depressant deficient. Good luck...... Use this forum's neuropathy for support....there is infinite info to consider.

I believe these medicines were originally established for depression, but its since been discovered they help reduce neuropathic pain in low doses. So the AD label for them probably doesn't fit if prescribed for pain relief. It obviously has an effect on the neuro transmitter/hormone balance which may be causing the pain in the first place. There seems also to be a link between depression, anxiety and pain in how the body deals with all three.