NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Can’t wear socks (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/253343-wear-socks.html)

JohnAnthony 03-31-2019 06:47 PM

Can’t wear socks

I have peripheral neuropathy in my legs. My struggle is pain weakness numbness and tingling. For the most part my toes feel like icicles I am on able to wear socks of any sort . If I wear socks I can only wear them for approximately two days. If I wear them longer I experience severe pain in my foot. My left foot is worse, I was diagnosed with tarsal tunnel as well in my left foot into 2013. Had surgery and I am maybe 60% healed. I really am not sure if I will every be 100%. I am not sure why or how I developed neuropathy. Can anyone help?

kiwi33 04-01-2019 01:41 AM

Hi JohnAnthony

Welcome to NeuroTalk :).

I can't help you about socks; my PN is in my hands and is very probably a consequence of when I used to abuse alcohol.

I hope that other members will be able to offer you good ideas.

Best wishes.

CRPSinSC 04-01-2019 08:52 AM

Hi JohnAnthony: I have CRPS and as a result, I struggle with the winter and shoes that cover my feet (and socks!). I have what's called "Allodynia" as a result of the CRPS, and I take a lot of gabapentin to alleviate that....it works well for me. Also, I am very careful about which socks I buy (there are diabetic socks that do not cling to the skin and they are my favorites for this reason)....and, lastly, I do not dry my socks all the way in the dryer....I dry them 20 minutes then hang them up on a special laundry tool I bought that has little clips on it that you can hang socks, undies, etc. on to allow them to finish drying out. The reason I don't let them fully dry in the dryer is they tighten up, or draw up.....
Hope my responses are helpful to your issue. I can certainly relate.

FWIW, I love sketcher's shoes, too, because the ones with thicker soles are supportive to me, and they have a few styles that are stretchy and don't require socks....I wore these shoes a lot thru the winter. My toes hurt with socks after only a few hours, when I wear shoes, so I try to find shoes I can wear without socks to help on the harder days......

IPN1967 04-07-2019 04:29 PM

John,

Sorry to hear about the pain

I basically live in my slides when I can which greatly reduces my toe pain

Try CBD for the pain as it has helps may with the same symptoms with the side effects. I have also found that the CDB salve works wonders on my toes when they hurt

Hope this helps and you can find some relief - Pain stinks

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnAnthony (Post 1274065)
I have peripheral neuropathy in my legs. My struggle is pain weakness numbness and tingling. For the most part my toes feel like icicles I am on able to wear socks of any sort . If I wear socks I can only wear them for approximately two days. If I wear them longer I experience severe pain in my foot. My left foot is worse, I was diagnosed with tarsal tunnel as well in my left foot into 2013. Had surgery and I am maybe 60% healed. I really am not sure if I will every be 100%. I am not sure why or how I developed neuropathy. Can anyone help?

Ragtop262 04-10-2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnAnthony (Post 1274065)

If you have access to COSTCO, I have found that their athletic socks are very thick and soft. If I turn them inside out (so the smooth side is in contact with your feet) - they are much more comfortable on my feet than anything else I have tried.