NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Headache (https://www.neurotalk.org/headache/)
-   -   Aimovig (https://www.neurotalk.org/headache/253349-aimovig.html)

godfrey19 04-01-2019 09:33 PM

Aimovig

On my second shot. Checking to see if there’s anybody out there taking Aimovig?

godfrey19 04-02-2019 12:27 PM

As background I’ve been suffering from migraines for 54 years. Generally 4-5 migraines per month followed by clusters. Tried a number of preventative meds. Topamax reduced symptoms by 25%. Migraine diet helped another 25%, i.e. no tyramine diet. Very difficult. Still lived in migraine fear.

Aimovig, though expensive, has brought the migraines down to one per month. Note that I tried Ajovy first, then Aimovig. I still get light normal headaches sometimes. No big deal. Both work on the same CHRP protein though thru a different path.

Insurance would not cover Ajovy but did give a 50% break on Aimovig.

godfrey19 04-04-2019 02:16 PM

Migraines are still gone. Side effects are noted as:

Injection site redness

Constipation

Cramps

Here’s what I have found:

No injection site redness. Yes, some constipation. Maybe some cramps in my feet. Not sure [emoji848]

godfrey19 04-06-2019 11:37 PM

Migraines are still under control. Important to mention that I am still taking Topamax 100mg and on my no-tyramine diet. I’ve relaxed a little on the cheese part successfully. I can now take a multi-vitamin without getting sick. So Aimovig is a successful add-on drug at this point. Not a replacement!

I do feel some light headaches start if I stay on the computer too long, for example, but they go away if I relax.

Still no real side effects from Aimovig. The ones mentioned before have ceased.

godfrey19 04-14-2019 07:58 PM

Thanks for the views! Headache/cluster/migraine people all have their stories.

Aimovig is still working. I continue to have dull headaches due to sinuses or other muscular/skeletal issues. Generally resolved without migraine meds. No bad headaches.

Still take Topamax. Working for me.

Take care

godfrey19 04-19-2019 09:00 PM

Aimovig

Visited the Neurologist to review my progress. No migraines. I have had light headaches that are minor. No meds required and they go away in a couple hours. We agreed that they didn’t qualify as migraines. We decided to cut back on topamax to 50mg and stay on the no-tyramine diet. Take care!

godfrey19 04-27-2019 04:04 PM

After cutting back on topamax to 50mg daily, I have had no increase in headaches. Of interest I’m due for my next injection in 4 days and worried that the Aimovig might be wearing off. No problems to report.

Also I had a busy work week with travel that is generally a migraine trigger. No headaches.

Still on my no tyramine diet. However I have introduced a couple tyramine type foods back into diet without a problem.

I will admit it is odd going from 20+ days a month of severe headaches for 54 years down to almost none.

Thanks for checking in!

godfrey19 05-08-2019 11:07 PM

Aimovig

On vacation and still headache limited. No migraines or clusters. Light reminders of where the headaches were and when to take it easy.

godfrey19 06-15-2019 09:46 PM

On shot number 5 now. Had one migraine. Yikes! Trying 140mg since it’s the same price.

Thanks for checking in!

godfrey19 07-08-2019 09:41 PM

Tomorrow is my next shot of Aimovig 140 mg. The first 30 days at 140mg was a big improvement from 70mg. At 70mg I had several migraines and a lot of minor headaches. 140mg seems to have cleared that up. I’m reviewing with my neurologist next week. My prescription is for 70mg so I want to change to 140mg! My samples will be gone.