NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Web Site Accessibility Experiences (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/253485-web-site-accessibility-experiences.html)

Mark in Idaho 04-19-2019 08:19 PM

Web Site Accessibility Experiences

I'm collecting information about the different ways brain injuries and Post Concussion Syndrome impact using the internet.

I have made contact with an organization that focuses on publishing guidelines for ease of accessibility of the internet.

Many web pages may be difficult to access due to the way the page is formatted.

Your comments are needed.

What struggles do people with brain injuries have accessing the internet. I'm not talking about WiFi or broadband access.

I am trying to present the struggles many of us have when we try to look at and use a web site to a global organization (W3C.org) that publishes guidelines for accessible web sites.

The issues are things like:

Shaded text, not enough contrast

Long lines of text that are difficult to follow.

Passwords hidden behind black dots making it hard to memorize or type in.

Image links that are vague

Images/icons that are hard to understand

Indistinguishable links, Is that picture a link?

Long paragraphs that are hard to follow from line to line.

Long pages that require excessive scrolling to find a link

Background images that distract the eyes.

Changing user interfaces that require relearning the web page. Banks do this a lot.

You can send your struggles to me directly at WCAGMark@gmail.com

DocJohn 04-20-2019 08:33 AM

Or you can post your thoughts directly to this thread, so we can all benefit from the shared wisdom of different people's experiences.

:)

Jomar 04-20-2019 03:48 PM

Mark, many of the things in your list would help for low vision and the elderly also.

Clean fonts, contrast, decent spacing...basically keep it simple and clean.

Mark in Idaho 04-21-2019 01:05 AM

I am working with a woman who specializes in cognitively, memory, and visual processing impaired issues. Currently, most guidelines focus on visual acuity (blindness) and seizure triggering flashing. The latest version is WCAG 2.1 (Web Content Access Guidelines 2.1) Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1 put out by W3C, an organization lead by the man who invented the internet in 1989, Tim Berners-Lee.

My request is about struggles/barriers, not the ways people overcome them. Some may not be willing to post their struggles publicly so I have a unique email just for this project.

I have recommended the organization set up a vBulletin based forum because it is by far the easiest forum to navigate.

There is a great YouTube about this. It is private so only accessible from this link.
Rough Cut for "POUR Me a Website" - YouTube

I am also working on developing a relationship with Apple regarding accessibility issues with iOS for iPhones and iPads.

I have been searching for a contact at Mozilla (Firefox) and Microsoft. They have very strong gate keepers about ADA accessibility issues.

Living_Dazed 05-15-2019 02:16 PM

Everything on your list. Plus anything moving, jumping, flashing on a page.