NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   What is the deal with potholes/bumps?!?! (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/253643-deal-potholes-bumps.html)

AlmondJoy87 05-15-2019 12:28 AM

What is the deal with potholes/bumps?!?!

Frusterated Chicago-an over here :( my city is ridden with rough roads.
How does everyone here deal with them? Do you REALLY just have to avoid driving or go super slow all the time? I'm so tired of bumps/bumpyroads/potholes flaring me up. I try to avoid them but my city is always under construction or something and I end up going down a new road anyways.
I went to the ER tonight freaked out about what was apparently a low voltage and harmless electric shock. But on the way there I ran over what was an ugly road (it was dark out, so I am assuming potholes) and I was going like 20 miles an hour, if that, and wish I would have stayed home in the first place. I'm more freaked out about the holes in the road than I was about the initial shock. This patch was so jarring. I had some little finger bumps to my head today while bathing/doing self care that my doctor said were harmless but now after this stupid road my "anxiety" is acting up and I'm not feeling as good as I was earlier. Not my worst flare but definitely not my best.

TLDR: whats the real deal with rough roads, neurologically? how does everyone cope? ER doctors are saying I'm highly anxious and safe despite the roads

Mark in Idaho 05-16-2019 07:13 PM

When you know a bump in the road is coming or the road is rough, roll your neck and shoulders forward. This puts a curve in your upper back and neck that helps absorb the vertical forces.

The issue of your anxiety about every touch or bump is more difficult and needs a therapist who understands desensitization therapy and CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy).

Bud 05-16-2019 10:31 PM

Try and stay relaxed and flow with the bumps. Allow your body to be a fluid shock absorber rather than a steel rod.

I work around farms and the dirt roads in my area are brutal. It took a couple summers before I could go all day without problems. My first summer my back my daughter had to drive me around by mid day.

Take heart, it goes away.

Bud

Jomar 05-17-2019 01:18 PM

Anxiety will magnify any little aches or pains..
It's your brain going overboard overreacting..

If your neck gets sore after potholes.. then the neck soft tissue needs to be assessed and/ or some PT sessions for neck pain..

Think about little finger bumps and things like it logically...
fingers just are not hard /solid enough to do damage, unless poked in your eye or throat or temple on purpose to injure you.., or if attacked by a kung fu master..