NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   CRPS Surgery (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/253891-crps-surgery.html)

7thDay 06-26-2019 10:35 PM

CRPS Surgery

Has anyone had the spinal cord stimulator to replace a percentage of pain for crps ? Did it Work right away ? Recovery Period horrible or tolerable ? Would you recommend ?!? . Thanks for the feedback !

annabanana123 06-27-2019 06:58 AM

I haven't because I'm leery about it. I have had a complication from literally every surgery I've had, and I've had probably around 10. If it's the last resort and meds stop working I will do the trial and decide.

That said many people do really well with it. Have you done the trial to see if it helps you? They have some now that you can still get a MRI with so I would definitely ask about that. I believe it's the new medtronic one that allows it. They say 82% of patients who get a SCS will need a MRI w/in 5 years. As you can see I've done my research so I'm prepared when or if the time comes.

Good luck with your decision and I hope whatever you decide works well for you!! Please keep us posted!!

7thDay 06-27-2019 02:34 PM

My legs were crushed for 45 mins and it's spreading now throughout and now to my stomach . Want to know the outcome of this procedure after someone who has been in a accident like mine . How was there turnout? There are so many different cases and causes of crps

msorenson2219 07-03-2019 01:57 PM

I just finished the "trial" SCS surgery. They require it in order for insurance to pay for the full surgery. The only difference is the battery was kept taped to my back instead of inside my body.

I would say it got rid of 60% (on average) of my pain, which was much needed relief! Sometimes it felt like 20%, but other times it was more like 90%. It was a bit tricky getting the nodes to the correct level at first, but when they adjusted them, it felt great! The relief was immediate. When they pulled the trial nodes out, the burning started up instantly.

I know recovery from the full surgery is a bit difficult. I expect back pain for a while. Also, not being able to bend or twist. You can't lift anything over 5 pounds. This recover period goes on for a few weeks while the nodes scar over.

Even with that, I am going for the full SCS surgery in a few weeks! I was able to have more of a normal life with it, and I think it will be worth the weeks of recovery from the surgery. I have CRPS in both legs/feet and in one arm

CRPSbe 07-04-2019 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msorenson2219 (Post 1277215)
I just finished the "trial" SCS surgery. They require it in order for insurance to pay for the full surgery. The only difference is the battery was kept taped to my back instead of inside my body.

I would say it got rid of 60% (on average) of my pain, which was much needed relief! Sometimes it felt like 20%, but other times it was more like 90%. It was a bit tricky getting the nodes to the correct level at first, but when they adjusted them, it felt great! The relief was immediate. When they pulled the trial nodes out, the burning started up instantly.

I know recovery from the full surgery is a bit difficult. I expect back pain for a while. Also, not being able to bend or twist. You can't lift anything over 5 pounds. This recover period goes on for a few weeks while the nodes scar over.

Even with that, I am going for the full SCS surgery in a few weeks! I was able to have more of a normal life with it, and I think it will be worth the weeks of recovery from the surgery. I have CRPS in both legs/feet and in one arm

Mine is in both legs (disability) and 2 arms (still being treated with calcitonin, Belgium's main form of treatment).

I hope your surgery goes well.

Keep us posted.

And welcome to the boards, BTW!

Cpugh67126 07-29-2019 03:50 AM

SCStimulators

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7thDay (Post 1276957)
Has anyone had the spinal cord stimulator to replace a percentage of pain for crps ? Did it Work right away ? Recovery Period horrible or tolerable ? Would you recommend ?!? . Thanks for the feedback !

Never. I have had this disease for almost 24 years. I ran a support group for years by email. From all I have seen through the years I’d never get one nor recrecomend one. Several people in my group had them put in and all had problems with leads coming disconnected, infections also many had worse problems with their RSD. Anytime you get something implanted into your body it is very foreign and not natural. Remember many doctors get nice bonuses, trips, etc for every spinal cord stimulator one of their patients may get. I have seen horrible infections caused by the stimulators. Please beware and informed. Always ask and know what all risks could be please before getting one. They do not make the pain go away and can make you much worse. Wishing you the best, Sur

CRPSbe 07-30-2019 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpugh67126 (Post 1278376)
Never. I have had this disease for almost 24 years. I ran a support group for years by email. From all I have seen through the years I’d never get one nor recrecomend one. Several people in my group had them put in and all had problems with leads coming disconnected, infections also many had worse problems with their RSD. Anytime you get something implanted into your body it is very foreign and not natural. Remember many doctors get nice bonuses, trips, etc for every spinal cord stimulator one of their patients may get. I have seen horrible infections caused by the stimulators. Please beware and informed. Always ask and know what all risks could be please before getting one. They do not make the pain go away and can make you much worse. Wishing you the best, Sur

I also had so many people tell me these devices were "fine" IF they worked, the least amount you bend wrong or fall, leads can become disconnected or shift making the contact less than ideal.

No; not for me.

Also my RSD was too far advanced for this to still be recommended to me as a valid "treatment" option (even though it only deals with pain).