NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Doctor came up to me and pressed and moved scalp suddenly.. exam sensitivity (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/253900-doctor-pressed-moved-scalp-suddenly-exam-sensitivity.html)

AlmondJoy87 06-29-2019 12:10 AM

Doctor came up to me and pressed and moved scalp suddenly.. exam sensitivity

Hi everyone
I had two things freak me out today
I had been looking behind a dresser and started to move back and my jaw area bumped against a bottle of soap
And then I had an awkward and sudden flinch while looking up in parking lot and being startled by a rabbit
I went to the ER and the first doctor there said everything looked ok on her basic exam but then this other doctor came in and he suddenly came up to me and pushed and pressed his hand on my head without explaining
I was really confused because I didn't bump that part of me but I told the other doctor and she said he was just checking for any signs of trauma or bumps
I think he was confused about the story but I'm really unsettled by him suddenly walking up and rubbing and pushing forward on my scalp
Has anyone had similar anxious experiences with doctors touching your scalp and does anyone have any advice on how to relax after this
The other doctor there said he was probably just examining but it felt really sudden and not as gentle as others
She said it wouldn't have caused me any harm and to just take some medicine

Mark in Idaho 06-29-2019 07:58 PM

"and to just take some medicine "

What medicine did she suggest?

Your Concussion Anxiety Syndrome is messing up your life.

Neither event warranted any kind of medical exam. If you continue seeking medical care for these non-events, you will get labeled in a way that will not be helpful for your future.

Do you have access to a therapist who know CBT, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?

You need someone who can teach you how to respond to these events.

AlmondJoy87 07-06-2019 12:26 AM

Hi Mark
Thank you for your reply
She suggested Tylenol and my anti anxiety medicine

I am working with a therapist and a psychiatrist to possibly start a medicine
So far we are making small goals week by week and I appreciate your encouragement too

Mark in Idaho 07-06-2019 02:04 AM

Try to find a therapist who is good with CBT. Drugs will not fix your thinking.

So, are you taking a benzo anti-anxiety med?

AlmondJoy87 07-07-2019 12:36 AM

That's a very good point and why I think the medicines don't help too much so far as oooosed to reassurance from doctors which I realize in the long run I need to get better at making judgements myself
As you said this incident didn't require a medical exam

I have xanax and clonzapam I believe for panic situtions but to be honest I don't take them much
My therapist and family think I'd benefit from a daily anti anxiety and anti depressant like lexapro or Zoloft

Mark in Idaho 07-08-2019 07:21 PM

I take 200 mgs of 5-HPT rather than a powerful SSRI that I took for 14 years.
I also take B-12 and L-Theanine.