NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Negative AChR Antibodies test and Normal SFEMG (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/254116-negative-achr-antibodies-test-normal-sfemg.html)

SB_83 08-15-2019 08:10 AM

Negative AChR Antibodies test and Normal SFEMG

Hi everyone, I’m new to this form and wonder if anyone has tested normal for the above, but still been diagnosed with MG?

I’ve had fatiguable ptosis since February, with vertical DV. The DV is mild, however, the ptosis means it’s very difficult at times to keep my eyes open. I’ve therefore not worked for almost 6 months.

Blood tests were normal back in Feb/March, however, ALL eye examinations were positive i.e Ice pack test, Cogan’s lid twitch, Simpson test, and Gorelick’s sign.

Due to the above, doctors (and myself) were confident of OMG diagnosis. I was prescribed Mestinon, however this did very little for me, and Neuro then referred me for nerve stimulation test and SFEMG to try to clarify the diagnosis.

Well, this morning, I received the results of these tests, and findings were all normal! The letter from my Neuro is now saying it’s likely they’ll rule MG out!

I’m feeling exhausted by all this, and so confused. In all my time seeing the doctors, no one has ever given me a suggestion of a differential diagnosis! Any ideas?

Jeid 08-19-2019 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SB_83 (Post 1278903)
Hi everyone, I’m new to this form and wonder if anyone has tested normal for the above, but still been diagnosed with MG?

I’ve had fatiguable ptosis since February, with vertical DV. The DV is mild, however, the ptosis means it’s very difficult at times to keep my eyes open. I’ve therefore not worked for almost 6 months.

Blood tests were normal back in Feb/March, however, ALL eye examinations were positive i.e Ice pack test, Cogan’s lid twitch, Simpson test, and Gorelick’s sign.

Due to the above, doctors (and myself) were confident of OMG diagnosis. I was prescribed Mestinon, however this did very little for me, and Neuro then referred me for nerve stimulation test and SFEMG to try to clarify the diagnosis.

Well, this morning, I received the results of these tests, and findings were all normal! The letter from my Neuro is now saying it’s likely they’ll rule MG out!

I’m feeling exhausted by all this, and so confused. In all my time seeing the doctors, no one has ever given me a suggestion of a differential diagnosis! Any ideas?

Hello i have same dilemma as yours..i have undergone EMG and it is normal but i havnt tried yet the bloodtest..i have some symptoms of myasthenia gravisb like difficulty focusing vision on a certian direction..double vision and headache.i hope i can find answers also from your post.

Nac Mac Feegle 08-24-2019 10:36 PM

When you had the tests, were you on Mestinon?

Mestiion will increase the effectiveness of the nerve junction,which will tend to give false negative information, maybe enough to give a 'false negative' test result.

MattyToo 09-29-2019 05:22 PM

there is a great facebook group called "seronegative myasthenia gravis" that has a lot of information for people who have MG but have negative blood tests and even negative SFEMG. Lots of people with a diagnosis & treatment