NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Going back to work after concussion timeframe (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/254342-concussion-timeframe.html)

miss2000 10-08-2019 09:41 PM

Going back to work after concussion timeframe

Hello everyone,
Just curious when did folks with PCS feel ok to go back to work and how it did it go ? Part time to begin with? Did symptoms worsen? If so, what was your approach and how did you manage them?
I’m 2 months after my mild TBI and a bunch of PCS symptoms; have been out of work since then.. it’s been incredibly tough financially as a single mom, but I also don’t imagine how I will function at work (I’m a high school teacher).. additionally my boss has been putting so much pressure on me coming back

Thank you in advance for your contributions

Jomar 10-08-2019 10:01 PM

You and your drs need to decide that.
Your Dr probably needs to sign a work release of some sort, if you were on a medical required leave..

Mark in Idaho 10-09-2019 01:31 AM

Teaching is one of the toughest jobs to return to with PCS. Schools, especially high schools, are buildings full of over stimulation. You will need to find ways to reduce stimulation.

You might find that some students will react well and others will need to be shown the door. Talk softly in class. Get you classes to respond softly. Maybe relegate the noisy students to the back of the class and let them choose to fail your class. The quieter students who are interested in learning and a decent grade can get you attention.

A No Tolerance No Cell Phones rule would be good. You do not need to be hearing beeping or buzzing or vibrating. Your brain will be distracted by it.

miss2000 10-09-2019 09:13 AM

Thank you for your kind response..yes, the doctor mentioned that going back to work is somewhat gradual, and a lot of folks go back before a full recovery. I know I’m taking as much time off as I possibly can now with the hopes of getting better as the noise is one of my biggest enemies... I think one of the chAllenges is also not having colleagues and administrators fully understand the burden concussion folks have to deal with upon returning to work. I think there needs to be more education on this.

Mark in Idaho 10-09-2019 11:50 PM

Could you tutor students in a quiet room? You could be very useful to the school and students. Returning to the classroom would be a challange.

Download the TBI Survival Guide at TBIGuide.com

Brainline.org has some good resources that you could print out.

miss2000 10-10-2019 11:18 AM

Mark,
Thank you for tips. Yes, I hope my doctor will put a plan for me to go back in place so my administration will have to adjust since I’m a push in support in the classroom ( 22+ Students).. and the space is very limited