NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Pain 2 months after molar extraction (retained root?) (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/254479-pain-2-months-molar-extraction-retained-root.html)

Liamleon75# 10-31-2019 05:37 AM

Pain 2 months after molar extraction (retained root?)

Hi, this is my first post.

I had a molar extraction (upper left 15) just over 2 months ago. It was a previously root canaled tooth that could not be saved due to an infection.

Was quite a tough extraction, took 45 mins, broke into pieces and had to be drilled and a root (just over 3mm) was left behind. Since the extraction I've had off an on pain and had treatment for a partial dry socket. The dentist referred me to an oral surgeon as soon as I had the extraction done. The surgeon has told me pain was not uncommon 2 months after surgery and it was due to jagged bone and the gums healing and agreed as I had quite a difficult initial extraction this could happen. I have no infection (x-ray taken 3 weeks ago no sign of infection) and no swelling and he said the wound was healing nicely.

My question is should I still be getting this pain? Why would it be hurting if I have no infection? and is it as a result of the retained root or the healing. The surgeon advised I could leave the root or get the it removed. Do you think I should proceed and get the retained root removed and hope this solves the problem, the surgeon did say it was close to my nasal cavity and a neighbouring tooth. Currently taking over the counter pain killers to keep the niggling pain at bay.

Thanks in advance for any advice or help

jenny8484 11-01-2019 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liamleon75# (Post 1280884)

I had a molar extraction (upper left 15) just over 2 months ago. It was a previously root canaled tooth that could not be saved due to an infection.

Was quite a tough extraction, took 45 mins, broke into pieces and had to be drilled and a root (just over 3mm) was left behind. Since the extraction I've had off an on pain and had treatment for a partial dry socket. The dentist referred me to an oral surgeon as soon as I had the extraction done. The surgeon has told me pain was not uncommon 2 months after surgery and it was due to jagged bone and the gums healing and agreed as I had quite a difficult initial extraction this could happen. I have no infection (x-ray taken 3 weeks ago no sign of infection) and no swelling and he said the wound was healing nicely.

My question is should I still be getting this pain? Why would it be hurting if I have no infection? and is it as a result of the retained root or the healing. The surgeon advised I could leave the root or get the it removed. Do you think I should proceed and get the retained root removed and hope this solves the problem, the surgeon did say it was close to my nasal cavity and a neighbouring tooth. Currently taking over the counter pain killers to keep the niggling pain at bay.

I would probably get the rest of the root removed just in case it turns into an infection later on. I would go to another oral surgeon for a second opinion.

Bryanna 11-02-2019 04:50 PM

Hi Liamleon,

Sorry you're having dental problems.
Lingering pain is common after a difficult extraction and more often if the tooth had been root canaled previously because the bone and surrounding area had been infected since the initial infection in the tooth. Root canal therapy does not make a tooth or the bone healthy again. The rc procedure is done in an attempt to retain the tooth, not cure the problem.

Regarding the retainment of a piece of the tooth after an extraction .. that is rarely acceptable because depending on where it is, it can move up further into the sinus and/or it will be a constant source of inflammation and bacteria.

The dentist who did the extraction may have inadvertently pushed that piece of tooth pretty far up near or into the sinus cavity trying to retrieve it. Since routine dental xrays are 2 dimensional they can only pick up the location of the tooth remnant that is superficial. If it appears to be near the sinus, then a dental CT scan would help determine the exact location.

Ideally, the tooth remnant should be removed sooner than later before the bone starts to fill in making it more difficult to remove. Also, the longer it's present the more inflammation and bacteria will develop.

Your dentist is at fault for not removing the tooth in it's entirety. He should pay the oral surgery bills, CT scan and surgery to remove it. But if you wait to have it done, he may try to convince you that in spite of the remnant, all was well and something "new" developed.

Taking OTC pain meds daily is toxic to the kidneys and not in your best interest to do long term.

Hope this info is helpful to you and you're able to get it taken care of soon.
Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liamleon75# (Post 1280884)

Liamleon75# 11-03-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanna (Post 1280963)
Hi Liamleon,

Sorry you're having dental problems.
Lingering pain is common after a difficult extraction and more often if the tooth had been root canaled previously because the bone and surrounding area had been infected since the initial infection in the tooth. Root canal therapy does not make a tooth or the bone healthy again. The rc procedure is done in an attempt to retain the tooth, not cure the problem.

Regarding the retainment of a piece of the tooth after an extraction .. that is rarely acceptable because depending on where it is, it can move up further into the sinus and/or it will be a constant source of inflammation and bacteria.

The dentist who did the extraction may have inadvertently pushed that piece of tooth pretty far up near or into the sinus cavity trying to retrieve it. Since routine dental xrays are 2 dimensional they can only pick up the location of the tooth remnant that is superficial. If it appears to be near the sinus, then a dental CT scan would help determine the exact location.

Ideally, the tooth remnant should be removed sooner than later before the bone starts to fill in making it more difficult to remove. Also, the longer it's present the more inflammation and bacteria will develop.

Your dentist is at fault for not removing the tooth in it's entirety. He should pay the oral surgery bills, CT scan and surgery to remove it. But if you wait to have it done, he may try to convince you that in spite of the remnant, all was well and something "new" developed.

Taking OTC pain meds daily is toxic to the kidneys and not in your best interest to do long term.

Hope this info is helpful to you and you're able to get it taken care of soon.
Bryanna

Thanks for the help I have an appointment with my oral surgeon next month and will request the retained root is removed. Do you think that it’s the root that has been causing the on going pain?

Bryanna 11-03-2019 10:11 PM

The retained root is a chronic irritant and source of inflammation, may also currently or become the source of a bacterial infection. Inflammation and infection in the jaw bone is not often apparent on a dental xray until it has become moderate or quite large. It can also be difficult to diagnose at this stage because that area of bone has not healed closed yet below the gum line and it will appear radiolucent (black), the same as an infection.

The sooner you have the root tip removed, the better.

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liamleon75# (Post 1280993)
Thanks for the help I have an appointment with my oral surgeon next month and will request the retained root is removed. Do you think that it’s the root that has been causing the on going pain?

Liamleon75# 11-06-2019 05:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanna (Post 1281010)
The retained root is a chronic irritant and source of inflammation, may also currently or become the source of a bacterial infection. Inflammation and infection in the jaw bone is not often apparent on a dental xray until it has become moderate or quite large. It can also be difficult to diagnose at this stage because that area of bone has not healed closed yet below the gum line and it will appear radiolucent (black), the same as an infection.

The sooner you have the root tip removed, the better.

Bryanna

Hi, well I saw oral surgeon today and all booked in to have the root tip removed. He said it looked like a had a slight infection in the root tip and to get it removed, he said hopefully should be a simple surgery, 20 mins, local anaesthetic, as the bone hasn't fully closed over yet. Thanks for your help on this, and anyone else going through tooth problems best thing to do is to get a professional to look at it and they'll put your mind at rest and give you some light at the end of the tunnel.

debk 12-17-2019 07:33 AM

#31 Extracted 1 week still alot of pain - normal?

I had tooth 31 extracted 1 week ago - extraction went smoothly however two days later started with a sore throat when swallowing, swollen glands and an earache. Two days later I completely lost my voice. Called OS, he said it was unrelated to extraction (even though ALL the issues were on the side of the extraction) told me to follow up with primary care. I did that and he prescribed Levofloxacin a 10 day 1 dose. I am on day 6 and to be honest, I still have swollen painful glands and shooting pains occasionally in my ear. The only thing that seems to help and gets me through the day is Advil. Is this normal?