NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   Caregiver needs help with manic mom (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/254550-caregiver-help-manic-mom.html)

Mother's Care Giver 11-14-2019 10:20 AM

Caregiver needs help with manic mom

Hello. Don't know if anyone can offer help, but hoping someone can. My mother was diagnosed with Parkinson's 25 years ago. However, recently she is exhibiting Bi-Polar symptoms, mostly mania. She is under care of a psychiatrist, but he has said he cannot give her much medicine to treat the mania without interfering with her PD meds. During her manic episodes, she is literally destroying the house. I have taken all tools away, but she will use other items to do things. I have an aide in the home 24/7, but they can only do so much, as they are mostly looking after my father who is under hospice care for alzheimer's. Does anyone have a suggestion for dealing with a manic episode for someone who cannot take meds to treat BP? Thanks.

bizi 11-15-2019 12:20 AM

This is BS. they can medicate her.
I would suggest that they admit her to a treatment in patient center where they can get her properly medicated. this is unacceptable.
I am sorry you are going thru this.
bizi

mymorgy 11-15-2019 12:28 AM

what a nightmare. I would get another doctor! Have you searched the internet to see if antipsychotics interfere with her meds? I think you should do that. She must be in so much pain. I am so sorry about your father.
best wishes
bobby

mymorgy 11-15-2019 01:10 AM

"Manic Episodes and Parkinson's Disease": Parkinson's Disease Community - Support Group

mymorgy 11-15-2019 01:20 AM

Management of Dual Diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease and a Mental Health Disorder

Mari 11-15-2019 02:48 AM

Get a new doctor as soon as you can.
Your mom deserves appropriate care.

Was your mom put on a new medication that is causing the mania?

Does she have thyroid disease?
Any of these types of medications can cause mania:
  1. antidepressants
  2. steroids
  3. thyroid meds

She might do best in a hospital equipped to help her.

I wish her well.

M

Mother's Care Giver 11-15-2019 10:58 AM

Thanks for info!

Thanks for both of the links you provided. Some of this I have seen before, but most is new, and somewhat helpful to understanding what is going on.

Mother's Care Giver 11-15-2019 11:05 AM

Thanks.

Thanks to everyone who offered help. I would love a new doctor, but we already drive over 1 hr to get to that one. Living in the middle of no where makes finding good doctors difficult. While I have been caring for mom for a while, I am beginning to learn that most doctors are not that helpful. They just seem to treat all patients the same, even when they are not. I have gotten more info from my own research and forums, like this one. She has a new PD doctor, so I will try to work closer with her. I think we need to pull back her meds some, as I am learning she is on a rather high dose of sinemet. I think we just need to find a comfortable medium between functioning with the PD symptoms while not blowing out the mental problems. But it can be difficult to manage her mania. Guess I should be grateful it is on periodic instead of constant. Thanks for listening, and offering me suggestions. Much appreciated.

mymorgy 11-15-2019 12:30 PM

i recently started using essential oils. I have been manic for a few months now and have been overspending and terrified I will run out of money. I have been very angry. I was just put on an antipsychotic which is helping big time and am using jasmine, lavender, rose and chamomile in a diffuser and they help calm me.
bobby
maybe you can shown the doctor some of the information you found and maybe she will be receptive rather than threatened.

Jomar 11-15-2019 01:09 PM

Age & multiple meds can be a factor, the aging body may not be able to process them correctly.
We had to dropped/reduced less critical meds for my dad and only kept his Carb/lev as he aged. was 84.