NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   PCS And migraines: is amitriptyline worth it? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/254876-pcs-migraines-amitriptyline-worth.html)

miss2000 01-10-2020 06:45 PM

PCS And migraines: is amitriptyline worth it?

Hello everyone!

Im 5 months after a concussion and developed horrible migraines (can’t leave the bed literally).. my neurologist is Recommending amitriptyline for treatment but prior to that I was taking Nortriptyline but unfortunately developed a horrible allergic reaction.
Has anyone taken them amitriptyline and was it helpful And worth the side effects?

Mark in Idaho 01-10-2020 09:40 PM

Amitryptiline is usually used in very low doses for the concussion headache benefit.

What kind of dose did you try with nortryptiline?

miss2000 01-10-2020 10:29 PM

I took Nortriptalyne only 5 days, but developed chest tightness, shortness of breath, heart palpitations.. was in ER a couple of times, steroids .. not fun

Do you have experience taking Ami? The side effects list is terrifying, just scared of having to go through that again

davOD 01-11-2020 09:33 AM

Nortriptyline knocked me out!.....I even cut them in half and still effected me...We are all different on side effects...

For 5 years my headaches are much less, and under control using Medical Marijuana.....I wouldnt of believed it myself, I am now off all pharmaceuticals for seizures and headaches.

miss2000 01-11-2020 07:30 PM

Oh, wow! That’s amazing ! Would neuro be able to prescribe medical marijuana and give a card? How does it work not sure..?

Jomar 01-11-2020 11:59 PM

States have different laws for MJ , so check your laws ,you will probably find info on medical MJ at the same time..
Or web search medical MJ , your state

davOD 01-12-2020 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss2000 (Post 1282816)
Oh, wow! That’s amazing ! Would neuro be able to prescribe medical marijuana and give a card? How does it work not sure..?

Do like Jo*mar suggests.....IMO I doubt a neuro would?...Maybe a refural to someone they know?....Im in AZ and all we have is MM...It took some time to figure it out....Now I am much happier, less headaches, no night terrors, and sleep well.....Good luck

Mark in Idaho 01-12-2020 06:37 PM

I wish the MM industry and community would get truthful and forthcoming. When talking about medical marijuana, the discussion should be about CBD or THC. Combining the two as MM just confuses the issue.

The THC industry and community tries to not separate CBD from THC because they want legalization of THC. They don't really care about CBD.

Those with medical needs can help the discussion by stating what benefit they receive from which type and what dose and frequency and method of ingesting.

davOD 01-12-2020 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss2000 (Post 1282816)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1282838)
I wish the MM industry and community would get truthful and forthcoming. When talking about medical marijuana, the discussion should be about CBD or THC. Combining the two as MM just confuses the issue.

The THC industry and community tries to not separate CBD from THC because they want legalization of THC. They don't really care about CBD.

Those with medical needs can help the discussion by stating what benefit they receive from which type and what dose and frequency and method of ingesting.

Actually there is a lot you could learn also....My CBD would be illegal because it has amounts of THC that is illegal.....So really the CBD mixed with THC is called the entourage effect which makes it stronger without the high!....If one has a MM card they are dealing with a stronger med than...Hemp!....So a agree at some point with you but in the big picture Hemp is anything .03 or less or THC after that point its called Marijuana.....The plant is the same its the ignorant government that drew a stupid line of whats legal or illegal !

Flyingcolors 01-15-2020 08:59 AM

I tried all of those crazy meds. I strongly recommend you look into Botox. Not all neurologists can give you this, so you might have to find a neurologist who specializes in headaches/migraines.

Botox has been a miracle treatment for my post concussion headaches. I