NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   Approved By ALJ Attorney Fee Question (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/255051-approved-alj-attorney-fee-question.html)

JTL71 02-13-2020 03:07 AM

Approved By ALJ Attorney Fee Question

Hello

I have been approved for my disability but in the notes the ALJ says he doesn’t agree with attorney fees, what does this mean exactly if anyone know.......Thank You!!

davOD 02-13-2020 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL71 (Post 1283517)
Hello

I have been approved for my disability but in the notes the ALJ says he doesn’t agree with attorney fees, what does this mean exactly if anyone know.......Thank You!!

You have a signed contract with an attorney....So in black and white on that contract you agreed to a % of your back pay....It sounds like the judge is looking out for you and thinks hes fees are to high?....Cant imagine a judge worrying that the attorney wasnt charging enough....More like his fees are higher than the norm.

Thats a lot of guessing on my part....Find what you signed and see what it says.

JTL71 02-13-2020 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davOD (Post 1283521)
You have a signed contract with an attorney....So in black and white on that contract you agreed to a % of your back pay....It sounds like the judge is looking out for you and thinks hes fees are to high?....Cant imagine a judge worrying that the attorney wasnt charging enough....More like his fees are higher than the norm.

Thats a lot of guessing on my part....Find what you signed and see what it says.

Does that mean the judge is not excepting to give the fees or all of the fees? Thanks Much

davOD 02-13-2020 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL71 (Post 1283517)
Hello

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTL71 (Post 1283525)
Does that mean the judge is not excepting to give the fees or all of the fees? Thanks Much

Its only guessing.....

I used the google for this.
---------------------------------------------------

25%
How Much Is the Attorney's Fee? When you sign a fee agreement with a Social Security disability lawyer, the fee is limited to 25% of the past-due benefits you are awarded, up to a maximum of $6,000.
Social Security Disability. Secrets & Legal Information. | DisabilitySecrets › question16
----------------------------------------------------------------
If he is charging higher that the 25% or killing you with extras exceeding $6k that might be it?....No way for us to know...Like I said cant imagine that a judge would worry about an attorney being underpaid!

How Much Will a Social Security Disability Lawyer or Advocate

JTL71 02-13-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davOD (Post 1283526)
Its only guessing.....

I used the google for this.
---------------------------------------------------

25%
How Much Is the Attorney's Fee? When you sign a fee agreement with a Social Security disability lawyer, the fee is limited to 25% of the past-due benefits you are awarded, up to a maximum of $6,000.
Social Security Disability. Secrets & Legal Information. | DisabilitySecrets › question16
----------------------------------------------------------------
If he is charging higher that the 25% or killing you with extras exceeding $6k that might be it?....No way for us to know...Like I said cant imagine that a judge would worry about an attorney being underpaid!

How Much Will a Social Security Disability Lawyer or Advocate

Ok, Thanks For Advice & I Wasn’t Thinking Of The Judge Worrying About Underpaid, I Was Worrying About Judge Thinking Overpaid LOL

davOD 02-14-2020 08:55 AM

This is what I said in the first place?

Quote:

Originally Posted by davOD (Post 1283521)
.It sounds like the judge is looking out for you and thinks hes fees are to high?....Cant imagine a judge worrying that the attorney wasnt charging enough....More like his fees are higher than the norm.

JTL71 02-14-2020 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davOD (Post 1283554)
This is what I said in the first place?

Thanks For Your Time Much Appreciated