NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Bipolar Disorder (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/)
-   -   sleep hygiene? (https://www.neurotalk.org/bipolar-disorder/255118-sleep-hygiene.html)

pink kitty 02-21-2020 04:51 PM

sleep hygiene?

I wonder how people have been helped by sleep hygiene? My husband doesn't have bipolar (maybe I do but the doctors in this area are not very helpful to me) but he hasn't been a good sleeper for a long time. Does anyone have any tips on how to improve sleep aside from meds? He does sleep ''ok'' most of the time but requires ''peace'' and the tv for 2 hours before bed each night, then he reads a book. If I interrupt him he gets a headache. I think he may have high functioning aspergers. I wonder if this is partly why this occurs. Does anyone have a friend or family member with aspergers? I find my mood dips in the evenings (sometimes it is ok but other times I don't like having to be silent). If I have something I need to discuss it just has to wait. Until the following afternoon. He doesn't want to see a doctor (they would only offer meds here anyway which he doesn't need)

:grouphug:

Nevsky 02-21-2020 09:42 PM

Hello, Pink Kitty!

Maintaining good sleep hygiene is possibly the most important part of my personal self care. My own sleep-preparation rituals don't extend over so much time as your husband's, but I find I do need to "guard" them from disruption.

No doctor has diagnosed me being on the autism spectrum, but I do have one online friend who sits somewhere in that category. He frequently stays up late at night.

bizi 02-22-2020 12:18 AM

Maybe some melatonin would help?

they make a time released pill.
I take a quick acting one as well.
plus visteril.
I used to take .5mg of klonipin...it worked great!
then my pdoc took it away because I drink.....
and now i sleep just fair.
I have added some cbd to see if that can help.
4th night
bizi

caroline2 02-22-2020 12:49 PM

HI all, maybe this will show up here. I just up-dated my routine in the Sleep forum area here on Neuro.

kiwi33 02-22-2020 01:47 PM

I am in remission from Major Depressive Disorder.

Learning and then applying the methods of sleep hygiene has helped me.

There is a description of them here.

Sleep hygiene - Better Health Channel

pink kitty 02-22-2020 07:58 PM

Thanks for the replies
:grouphug:

Mari 02-23-2020 06:23 PM

My old sleep MD liked this site: sleep.org

Years ago I had a psychologist who taught sleep habits.
When I was young and single, I took everything out of the bedroom except the bed and the dresser.
I read books before bed IN A DIFFERENT ROOM
so that I associated the bed with sleep.

And blue light can be disruptive to the sleep process.
(Amber light is better for most.)

=-=-
Now I take medications that help.
I've got multiple life-long sleep issues.

M

bizi 02-23-2020 06:32 PM

@Mari
Have you ever tried visteril for anxiety/ sleep?
bizi

Mari 02-25-2020 05:26 PM

Bizi,

The meds are not the issue.

I don't like going to bed.

So hard to explain.

caroline2 02-25-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mari (Post 1283929)
Bizi,

The meds are not the issue.

I don't like going to bed.

So hard to explain.

Interesting comment. Do you know why you don't like going to bed. Sleep and bed are such a huge part of our living and our daily routines..ummmm