NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   cramping in hands is this part of Myasthenia (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/255139-cramping-hands-myasthenia.html)

Rhod 02-23-2020 06:54 PM

cramping in hands is this part of Myasthenia

My husband has had Myasthenis Gravis for 3 years. Just lately he is getting cramping in his hands and fingers, They just seem to lock up. Nobody seems to know why. Has anyone else with Myasthenia had a problem like this?

ThaiMGer 02-23-2020 10:28 PM

Yes, and very painful. Also may be found in legs/hips/back etc., etc.

However, to be safe, make sure you have a check up by your physician. Could be many other illnesses like Arthritis etc.; however, you cannot confirm without a proper exam. Don't worry, just go get checked by a good physician. Leave if you are uncomfortable, and look around for a better one if not happy.

God Bless.

JimInMI 02-23-2020 11:14 PM

Yes, this was one of my first symptoms. Jim

Nac Mac Feegle 03-10-2020 11:11 PM

Which medications is he taking?

I read somewhere that Imuran is a potassium aggrivant I'll get some cramps(hand, foot, leg) if I don't get enough, and then I have to eat bananas for a few days.

caroline2 03-11-2020 04:16 PM

I don't have the M.G. but advanced arthritis and have had "lock up" of 1-2 fingers in recent years. I notice not that much these days, I take extra magnesium thru and day and extra potassium and potassium richer foods.

AnnieB3 03-18-2020 10:57 PM

Hand cramps happen in MG when the disease is worse or you have used the hands a lot. I agree. Check with your neuro.

Locking up of fingers can be "trigger finger." That is treated with a steroid shot and therapy or finger devices. An orthopedic clinic can help with that.

If you are concerned about potassium or magnesium levels, better to be tested first to see. Too much or too little of those can cause MG to become worse. FYI

Annie

jmount 03-20-2020 10:18 PM

Hi, I've had MG for24 years. I had a lot of hand cramping and found I had to limit the amount of time I could write. I was so happy that computers came along as I had to do a lot of hand writing before computers and word programs came in very handy. I still found I had to limit typing at times due to finger cramps. I read where one guy actually learned to write with both hands because his job required a lot of hand writing/drafting. Your husband may need to do hand therapy to work the tendons and ligaments in his hands to get more stamina in his hands.

finuch 01-18-2021 02:50 PM

Hand Cramping & Myasthenia

While I have MG, I've always attributed my hand cramping to Hashimoto's and my body temp being low. The cramping doesn't last long if I take measures to warm my hands, i.e., sitting on them, tucking them under armpits, but mostly, wearing fingerless gloves.