NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Shingles Vaccine (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/255156-shingles-vaccine.html)

Rosie33 02-26-2020 09:25 AM

Shingles Vaccine

My doctor wants me to get the shingles vaccine (Shingrix). Even though I had shingles years ago I still had the Zostavax in 2010. I've had PIN for the past 20 years and now I'm wondering if the new vaccine might have adverse effects with Neuropathy. The PIN has progressed over the years, and I really don't want to make it worse, and yet I don't want shingles again! Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this vaccine. TIA :grouphug:

caroline2 02-26-2020 02:32 PM

Personally I do NOT take vaccines. Any kind unless for life saving reasons. I did a tetnus shot about 20 yrs ago..I'm 81 and have been supplementing with just about everything to keep my Immune System strong. I had chicken pox as a kid and never had shingles.

Prevent & Treat Shingles Naturally

And in my life I've taken Grape Seed Extract for 25 yrs soon and this powerful antioxidant contains
anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties. I've posted mega info here on Grape Seed Extract...could be major factor for no shingles in my life. c

kiwi33 02-26-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline2 (Post 1283948)

A PubMed search, "shingles lysine" provides no evidence, despite what is claimed in the link, that taking lysine as a supplement is of any use in management of shingles.

Another PubMed search, "shingles Vitamin B12" provides, at best, very limited evidence that Vitamin B12 is of any use.

agate 03-04-2020 08:31 PM

Hi,
I had the Zostavax vaccine around 2010 too. I haven't had shingles but understand it can be very painful and serious, even affecting vision at times.

So I've discussed getting the newer Shingrix vaccine with my doctor. It needs to be given in two doses and can have fairly severe side effects.

I've postponed getting the Shingrix because of the side effects but I have MS and want to avoid anything that might cause a fever. Ordinary routine flu shots every year sometimes are a problem for me, and my doctor pointed out that the Zostavax is already providing me with some protection. She'd like to have me get the newer vaccine though.

I'm sorry I don't know if peripheral neuropathy will be made worse by getting the Shingrix vaccine.

Rosie33 03-06-2020 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agate (Post 1284275)
Hi,
I had the Zostavax vaccine around 2010 too. I haven't had shingles but understand it can be very painful and serious, even affecting vision at times.

So I've discussed getting the newer Shingrix vaccine with my doctor. It needs to be given in two doses and can have fairly severe side effects.

I've postponed getting the Shingrix because of the side effects but I have MS and want to avoid anything that might cause a fever. Ordinary routine flu shots every year sometimes are a problem for me, and my doctor pointed out that the Zostavax is already providing me with some protection. She'd like to have me get the newer vaccine though.

I'm sorry I don't know if peripheral neuropathy will be made worse by getting the Shingrix vaccine.

Good Morning Agate,:Wave-Hello:

Neuropathy is a disease of the peripheral nerves which causes burning zaps of pain in my legs and feet. It's getting worse as I'm getting older. Like MS, there is no cure. Any kind of surgery or even some types of shots will exacerbate the burning pain sensations.

After reading your post, I have decided not to have the shingles vaccine. I've already had shingles years ago plus the Zostavax vaccine twice, the last one being in 2010. I was only 30 when I contracted shingles fifty years ago. The dermatologist smiled and told me I had the disease of an elderly person. He gave me a shot and told me the little blisters would turn black within a week then disappear, and I would never have shingles again. That's exactly what happened so I think I'll just believe what he said and forego the Shingrix vaccine. I only wish I knew what he gave me. I was too young then to even think I would ever be an elderly person! :ROTFLMAO:

I'm sorry for what you're going through with MS, and I pray you have more good days than not. :hug:

agate 03-06-2020 12:01 PM

Hi Rosie33,

Apparently it's very rare for shingles to show up more than once in a person but it has happened, unfortunately, at least according to this:

Recurrent Shingles, Vaccine,Pprevention, Treatment

Your chances of having shingles a second time seem pretty low.

Wren 03-06-2020 01:42 PM

I've had both doses of the Shingrix vaccine in the past few months. Each time my arm became fairly uncomfortable for a day or two, but nothing that interfered with my usual life. I certainly would not fail to do it again.

Rosie33 03-07-2020 07:16 AM

Good Morning, Wren

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wren (Post 1284328)
I've had both doses of the Shingrix vaccine in the past few months. Each time my arm became fairly uncomfortable for a day or two, but nothing that interfered with my usual life. I certainly would not fail to do it again.

You're one of the lucky ones. You probably don't have any problem with the vaccine aggravating any underlying medical issues. We're all different in the way our bodies handle such things. I believe most vaccines will exacerbate the pain and burning that comes with nerve damage, therefore I will take the chance of not having it. I have a gut feeling it's the right decision for me, and I pray it's the right one.:grouphug:

agate 03-07-2020 11:55 AM

I wouldn't mind just a sore arm. The flu shot does that to me every year. Sometimes the sore arm lasts a couple of weeks.

Still I'm holding off on Shingrix and taking my chances.

Rosie33 03-08-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agate (Post 1284350)
I wouldn't mind just a sore arm. The flu shot does that to me every year. Sometimes the sore arm lasts a couple of weeks.

Still I'm holding off on Shingrix and taking my chances.

Me too! :circlelove: