NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   General Info on CoronaVirus outside of Media Stuff (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/255266-info-coronavirus-outside-media-stuff.html)

caroline2 03-13-2020 06:29 PM

General Info on CoronaVirus outside of Media Stuff

All I hear from media is keep distance, wash hands, stay out of crowds, hand sanitizers, masks, etc...and NOTHING about keeping and working on a Strong Immune System. Like Vit C, Grape Seed Extract and other antioxidants for this purpose. I received the following from some friends to this end.

What a friend posted on another group, good advice.

How chronic stress changes the brain – and what you can do to reverse the damage

caroline2 03-13-2020 08:54 PM

I just talked to my neighbor who is challenged with RA, and that is an autoimmune disease. For some reason I thought people who have these diseases and take biologic drugs for their issues, cannot take Vit C, grape Seed Ex etc to strengthen their whole body immune system and she said oh no, she is taking at least 3K of Vit D daily and when she gets enough money buys the Grape Seed Extract.

So I'm happy to hear this, she is a person who has always been into supplements but this RA hit her a few yrs ago and bam what a life change she has gone thru.

The RA weakens her immune system and the drug she takes helps slowing down the damage..but the Vit C, etc work on her whole system. Glad I got that from her mouth, she is up on it all for her body.

kiwi33 03-13-2020 09:31 PM

There are two ways in which somebody could become immune to COVID-19.

(1) Get vaccinated against it. No vaccine is currently available.

(2) Get infected with it.

Use of antiviral drugs like Remdesivir against COVID-19 is under very active investigation. Results may become available in a month or so.

The general suggestions you mentioned, "keep distance, wash hands [I did this after going shopping this morning], stay out of crowds, hand sanitizers, masks". are all good ones.

caroline2 03-13-2020 09:38 PM

So kiwi, are you saying keeping Immune System in tip top condition, won't keep the virus away. I'm sorry but sanitizers and masks are not even in my arsenal....vit c etc are.

kiwi33 03-14-2020 02:27 PM

For somebody to become immune to COVID-19 one of two things needs to happen; they need to be vaccinated with it (there is no vaccine for it) or they need to become infected with it.

There is no evidence that self-medication with Vitamin C or Grape Seed Extract has any effect on either of these two events.

Chemar 03-14-2020 02:32 PM

Jumping on a soapbox and speaking on this topic now as just another individual here (not as NT admin) :)

I feel it's important to distinguish between having specific immunity to this novel coronavirus (per what kiwi33 posted) and doing all possible to keep one's immune system as well functioning as possible (as caroline2 has posted)

Long before this virus.....
I have always been a firm believer in maintaining a healthy immune system via a clean as possible environment in my home & garden so as not to stress immune system, (ie no pesticides, household chemicals, dusty clutter etc) and also keeping my diet as healthy & organic as I can, as well as taking daily nutritional supplements known to be of benefit (which even my MD agrees on!)

I am not an "anti-vaxxer" per se, but I am cautious of some vaccines and how they impact our immune systems, while recognizing those vaccines that have also saved countless lives ( I am old enough to remember people with polio, but also educated enough to consider thimerisol in vaccines hazardous.)

Decades of both formal and personal education, as well as caring not just for myself, but also for some very health challenged family members, have taught me that many natural remedies (including foods!) have remarkable healing or health protective properties, and sometimes conventional medicine is slow to catch up on those.
Not everything beneficial has scientific research behind it, and often anecdotal evidence is highly underrated.

So I tend to keep a very open mind on health and healing, while still being mindful of the importance of science and conventional medicine when it is sound and well practiced.

I know not everything "natural" is necessarily beneficial, and as with most treatments, not everyone responds the same way to the same thing.
I do also think it's essential to also remember that some supplements (and even things like grapefruit!) can have detrimental interactions with certain medications or be contraindicated in certain conditions.

I guess my emphasis is, that as with most things in this life....balance is key!

OK, off my soapbox for now ;)

I do hope and pray for all members here that protection against this virus will be high and contraction rates low.
:grouphug:

caroline2 03-14-2020 02:44 PM

On this topic I rec'd a message from my good friend about the message she got from her cardio MD. He's pretty mainstream but VERY OPEN to supplements and this is right up her alley. She ended up with afib a while ago but is very into the holistic healing life, but now takes some pharma meds for the afib fear.

Her doc highly recommends collodial silver, selenium, Vit C and Zinc as a fight against this virus. I will be getting a new supply of zinc/copper combo as one has to balance the other.

The above info from Che Mar is a good balance but in my life I work to do MOSTLY alternative medicine and homeopathy and homeopathy works a lot in my life, and I take about 5 remedies daily for my health which includes SLEEP and eye health, no eye disease at almost 82.

Good discussion.

kiwi33 03-14-2020 07:33 PM

Caroline, I hope that this never happens but if you get infected with COVID-19 there is a high risk, given your age, that it will have a fatal outcome. What you do to strengthen your immune system will not change this.

That is why I suggest that you give careful attention to risk minimisation methods.

They are, quoting from you; "keep distance, wash hands, stay out of crowds, hand sanitizers, masks, etc ".

With care.

caroline2 03-14-2020 07:46 PM

Kiwi, I started probably 2-3 yrs ago on being out of crowds, I did my life of crowds when I was in my younger years believe me, and since I gave up my car a couple years ago due to damaged knee, I don't get out much anymore unless a friend takes me to market and a restaurant now and then, but even my friends are steering clear of big crowds in recent years before CV...and I don't use antiseptic stuff nor masks but am very aware of keeping hands clean with hot water and soaps...my home is pretty clean and not a busy place with a lot of people coming and going. I get food deliveries and friends shop for me too. But now the shelves of stores are bare a lot...too much panic out there. Thanks.

caroline2 04-14-2020 04:22 PM

It's truly NONE of the EXPERTS, talk about the Most Important thing we NEED TO DO.

It's all about the immune system, not the virus.

Those showing no symptoms have very strong immune systems. Those getting really sick and dying have very stressed/compromised immune systems.

The virus is not contagious. The virus is a sign that your immune system is weak. It is not the germ. It is the environment. The environment being the body (immune system).

Chemar 04-14-2020 04:51 PM

Caroline, where I absolutely agree that a healthy immune system is important, I believe your blanket statement that the "virus is not contagious" to be totally incorrect. It IS contagious and we DO need to heed social distancing and other protective measures to help avoid it's spread.

There is also increasing evidence of healthy individuals getting the covid-19 illness that this virus causes, primarily because they were in contact with someone "shedding" the virus, not because of any "compromised immune system". ie it is contagious!

Although yes, people with "pre-existing conditions" that likely have compromised their immune systems are tending to have more severe forms of the illness, and sadly many succumbing to it, yet there are also those becoming very ill, and some dying, who do not fall into the pre-existing condition or elderly/weakened immune system categories.

I do think we need to be realistic of our basic ignorance related to this novel corona virus, that still has so many unknown factors associated with it.

Fact based information is key in this pandemic.

caroline2 04-14-2020 05:16 PM

I'm reading this info for about the 3rd time as there is so much info here. One comment about 1957 Sally mentions is when

The year 1957 marked the installation of radar worldwide. The “Asian” influenza pandemic began in February 1957 and lasted for a year. A decade later the U.S. launched twenty-eight satellites into the Van Allen belts as part of the Initial Defense Communication Satellite Program (IDCSP), ushering in the “Hong Kong” flu pandemic, which began in July 1968.

This is the year I was hit with the Asian flu, no one else in my family of 5, only me. And I was so so sick but I recovered obviously.

Is Coronavirus Contagious? - Nourishing Traditions

Chemar 04-14-2020 05:34 PM

I am sorry Caroline, but I am not going to accept covid-19 info as fact from a cookbook author, nomatter how nutritionally correct her recipes may be!

The about section from that link you posted gives her credentials:
About - Nourishing Traditions

Conspiracy theories abound right now, and suddenly everyone is an "expert".
:rolleyes:

I guess we will just have to respectfully agree to disagree on this, and I hope you will continue to be safe.

kiwi33 04-14-2020 06:18 PM

Caroline, the Covid-19 virus is very "contagious". It has currently infected about 2 million people world-wide of whom about 120000 have died because of their infection.

The reasons for those tragic deaths are complex but I doubt that having "very strong immune systems" (I am not sure what you mean by that) is the only factor involved.

caroline2 04-14-2020 07:57 PM

Sally Fallon is NOT just a cook book author. She has MORE info in the link than I have seen anywhere else and believe me, I've seen a LOT from many other forums and broadcasts etc and I'm not saying the TV as I have none of that. I now am t hinking since I had a BAD asian flu in 1957, and was it a coronavirus? That I may have an immunity to flues, as I have not had another one in decades, and I don't get vaccines.

Did people read the Sally link, nothing about cooking in there....She's head of the Weston Price Foundation that is true and does believe in good nutrition but doesn't author cookbooks -- she may have over some yrs I don't know.

caroline2 04-14-2020 08:29 PM

We really don't know how many have died and "they" don't either. SO MANY area much older and have existing chronic health conditions, and I'd bet millions are Vit D deficient. And how many of these sick people ever take Vit C, my guess is minimal.

I have come in contact with so much info "outside the main media" and even from nurses/doctors who have done podcasts on "dumbing down the numbers"....I won't post any of that there thou. I've said enough I guess, and Weston A Price (Sally Fallon) are not seen on the tv's. C
'

kiwi33 04-14-2020 09:17 PM

Caroline, I read Fallon's Web site with interest.

Among other things she blames the introduction of the IDCSP, which you mentioned above, for causing the 1968 Hong Kong flu epidemic because it caused disruption of the "faint currents [which] govern everything that happens in the body to keep us alive and healthy." I have no idea what that means.

More recently she attributes the Covid-19 pandemic to the introduction of 5G communication systems because they cause changes in "planetary electrification". Again I have no idea what she means.

In my view both of these claims are evidence-free conspiracy theories.

caroline2 04-14-2020 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi33 (Post 1285588)
Caroline, I read Fallon's Web site with interest.

Among other things she blames the introduction of the IDCSP, which you mentioned above, for causing the 1968 Hong Kong flu epidemic because it caused disruption of the "faint currents [which] govern everything that happens in the body to keep us alive and healthy." I have no idea what that means.

More recently she attributes the Covid-19 pandemic to the introduction of 5G communication systems because they cause changes in "planetary electrification". Again I have no idea what she means.

In my view both of these claims are evidence-free conspiracy theories.

Kiwi: You haven't read/heard the 5G theories? I sure have, over a month ago.

And as I said I was hit with the Asian Flu the year all the radar hit the U.S. That was 1957. Did you see that paragraph in her article?

agate 04-15-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline2 (Post 1285585)
Sally Fallon is NOT just a cook book author. She has MORE info in the link than I have seen anywhere else and believe me, I've seen a LOT from many other forums and broadcasts etc and I'm not saying the TV as I have none of that. I now am t hinking since I had a BAD asian flu in 1957, and was it a coronavirus? That I may have an immunity to flues, as I have not had another one in decades, and I don't get vaccines.

Did people read the Sally link, nothing about cooking in there....She's head of the Weston Price Foundation that is true and does believe in good nutrition but doesn't author cookbooks -- she may have over some yrs I don't know.

If you look at the "About" section of her Webpage, the first sentence is this:

Quote:

Sally Fallon Morell is best known as the author of Nourishing Traditions®: The Cookbook that Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats.

You say in another post that you have opted not to wear a mask or gloves. You say you think you might be immune to flu of any kind since you had the 1957 Asian flu.

Science has never shown that that happens. I too had the 1957 Asian flu but had flu a couple of times after that. I'm very glad that the flu vaccine came along and I get a flu shot each year.

This particular virus is new. It's never been seen before. Nobody knows yet just how it's going to behave. That's one reason why we have to be so very careful--at least until more is known, and that is going to take time.

Another reason for being careful (social distancing, masks, protective gloves) is that when any contagious bug is going around, it's advisable to be cautious. With this bug we have to be very cautious because (a) it's so very contagious, (b) not much is known about it yet, (c) it has the potential for being fatal is dangerously high, especially in people over 65, and (d) you can be a carrier for the virus and capable of spreading it to others even though you have no symptoms.

caroline2 04-15-2020 01:39 PM

Oh I bought Sally's Wise Traditions book years ago and it's about healthy cooking, I forgot about that...she believes in bone broths and oils etc etc...>BUT she is in charge of the whole Weston Price Foundation and I believe they are in D.C. They have/had chapters in the world and I joined the Santa Monica chapter many yrs ago, probably 20 yrs ago or so. Learned a lot and they still exist based on Dr. Price's knowledge and findings.

-----------------

Just last night I heard a discussion with Dr. Judy Mikovits and talk about mind opening. She would be very willing to debate Anthony Fauci but he doesn't want that. Here is more on her and latest book

Dr. Judy Mikovits – The Bravest Woman in Science… – BolenReport

She and Erin Brockovich are heros...

Jomar 04-15-2020 01:46 PM

Possibly no immunity after CV 19, this is another concern..
reinfection after covid 19? - Google Search

caroline2 04-15-2020 02:35 PM

Here is a lot more knowledge on vaccines and immune system. The high paid govt officials don't want us to know this.

PhD Researcher Judy Mikovits and Expert on Viruses Explains the Coronavirus and Reveals Information You are Not Likely to Hear in the Corporate Media

I'm done for today, lots of read for those who have an interest.

kiwi33 04-15-2020 04:26 PM

Thank you for the link Caroline.

I may have missed it but there is no reference to Covid-19 in it.

All of the usual convenient villains are there; evil Big Pharma, the false link between vaccinations and Autism Spectrum Disorder and so on.

caroline2 04-15-2020 07:48 PM

Kiwi, new info is continually arriving from the people I am in contact with. This is a very recent one and very technical for my mind but I will try to view it in segments... One member said leads to the 5G theory.

Medical Doctor Blows C-Vi-Rus Scamdemic Wide Open - Andrew Kaufman M.D. - YouTube

kiwi33 04-15-2020 09:08 PM

From the Web site in the link Kaufman is a psychiatrist.

None of the published papers in his c.v. show any expertise in relevant areas of science and medicine. They include virology, immunology and and epidemiology.

He describes himself as a "natural healing consultant", rather than an "unnatural healing consultant".

In his Web site he poses the question "Did you know that in the modern era you are exposed to thousands of toxins each and every day?" and then asserts that "Your body is full of natural wisdom.", compared I assume to "unnatural wisdom"

Nothing in his Web site convinces me that he knows anything of importance about world-wide pandemic of Covid-19 infection and its consequences.

agate 04-16-2020 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline2 (Post 1285612)
Here is a lot more knowledge on vaccines and immune system. The high paid govt officials don't want us to know this.

PhD Researcher Judy Mikovits and Expert on Viruses Explains the Coronavirus and Reveals Information You are Not Likely to Hear in the Corporate Media

I'm done for today, lots of read for those who have an interest.

This researcher's expertise might be open to question too:

Fallout From Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Retraction Is Far and Wide - The New York Times

caroline2 04-16-2020 02:24 PM

I continue to Lean Heavily in the Essay by Fallon (WAP) in post #12 in this thread.

caroline2 07-03-2020 01:08 PM

I will Repeat it AGAIN and AGAIN.... Get your Immune System in Good Shape... The "experts" surely are not advising this. Get Smart and Be Wise on this one. They are mask, distancing and sanitizer crazy.

Use GOOD SENSE, but HELP YOURSELF.

caroline2 07-07-2020 08:41 PM

How We Can Fix This Pandemic in a Month

HOW WE CAN FIX THIS PANDEMIC IN A MONTH

kiwi33 07-08-2020 04:15 PM

This recent summary from Science discusses some of the strengths and weaknesses in current attempts to develop treatments for Covid-19 infections.

One U.K. trial is transforming COVID-19 treatment. Why haven’t others delivered more results? | Science | AAAS

caroline2 07-08-2020 05:09 PM

Well in my own way I do what I can to have the "officials" bring awareness to the population...it's tragic that all they talk about is mask and distance and wash your hands..... I just sent off a couple emails to our high and mighty supervisors and a news media person. For a couple dollars a day a person can get in so much improved health. Sad and Tragic.

caroline2 07-20-2020 05:36 PM

I'd like to add this to the "general" thread, can I do that.

* admin edit*

Should We All Be Wearing Face Masks? Here's Why Experts Are So Conflicted

agate 07-20-2020 08:12 PM

The article mentioned in post #32 was written in early April. Since then, more has been learned about COVID-19. The article in post #32 states that the World Health Organisation "currently discourages mask use." The WHO has changed its recommendation--see this "Advice for the Public" from WHO (June 4, 2020):

Advice for the public