NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Potential effects of COVID-19 on people with MG (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/255306-potential-effects-covid-19-people-mg.html)

jmount 03-20-2020 10:30 PM

Potential effects of COVID-19 on people with MG

Looking for links to anything I can read on COVID-19 and effects it may have on people with Myasthenia Gravis. I'm extremely concerned as I'm a 58 year old male who may face awful consequences if I contract COVID-19. I've only found 1 sentence from CDC site that essentially says any with autoimmune diseases may be more susceptible to COVID-19 and the effects may be more severe.

I'm not looking to alarm people like myself who have this disease but I want to educate myself as much as possible. I was looking forward to the presentation on COVID-19 and MG scheduled for 18 March and then it was cancelled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Chef 03-21-2020 04:35 PM

I'm the same I also suffer from MG or also known as snowflake why I don't know , I've also been looking on different sites but can not find anything about this various with MG . I Also suffer from NF1 so I'm also worried that we are more at risk it would be a great help if anyone could help us all with MG .

Stellatum 03-22-2020 05:11 PM

Any infection can trigger a flare-up of an autoimmune disease because the infection stimulates the immune system. The other concern is that people with autoimmune diseases are often on drugs that suppress the immune system, and that makes infections more dangerous.

But these are points about infections in general. I would be surprised if there was any data yet on COVID-19's specific effect on people with AI diseases.

Abby

agate 03-23-2020 01:43 AM

I have MS, not MG, but I found this from Myasthenia Gravis News--"Information about COVID-19 for Myasthenia Gravis Patients":

Information About COVID-19 for Myasthenia Gravis Patients

The Chef 03-26-2020 03:08 PM

Myasthenia Gravis

Agate

Thank you for your reply , I found the link very interesting and easy to understand , I have was told by my neurologist that may tests point in the direction of Myasthenia Gravis and put on mention
4x 60mg but my neurologist will NOT
Confirm anything even though I'm having all the symptoms and the nerve condition test says it's myasthenia Gravis . This is making it very difficult for me to get any help with costs even government help . At the moment I am self isolating as can not afford to take the risk for my self as wife .

If anyone can give any advice I would be very grateful .

agate 03-26-2020 09:48 PM

Chef, no two snowflakes are alike, and it's said that no two cases of MG are alike. Apparently that's the reason why it's known as the snowflake disease:

Living With Myasthenia Gravis - Rush University Medical Center