NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Trauma 2 months after extraction (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/255317-trauma-2-months-extraction.html)

Amind4heaves 03-25-2020 07:40 PM

Trauma 2 months after extraction

I was eating a cupcake last evening and started feeling sensitivity nwar my tooth extraction so I decided to rinse with salt water. After my extraction site was bleeding, not enough to soak the guaze pad but enough to scare me. The bleeding stopped with pressure but today the extraction site looks dark pink in color. Theres no swelling outside but I can feel the extraction site is not as healed as it was.
I ate pizza for the first time yesterday and everybody is telling me i prob scratched the site.
Does that sound right? Could this happen if I scratched the extraction site?
I will mention just in case that 2 weeks after tooth was extracted I had to call my dr for antibiotics for site.
All the dentists in my area are closed due to COVID-19 spread and I haven't gotten to meet my regular dentist due to appts being 4 months delayed already.
Any advice? Anything, please?
Thank you

agate 03-26-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amind4heaves (Post 1284975)
I was eating a cupcake last evening and started feeling sensitivity nwar my tooth extraction so I decided to rinse with salt water. After my extraction site was bleeding, not enough to soak the guaze pad but enough to scare me. The bleeding stopped with pressure but today the extraction site looks dark pink in color. Theres no swelling outside but I can feel the extraction site is not as healed as it was.
I ate pizza for the first time yesterday and everybody is telling me i prob scratched the site.
Does that sound right? Could this happen if I scratched the extraction site?
I will mention just in case that 2 weeks after tooth was extracted I had to call my dr for antibiotics for site.
All the dentists in my area are closed due to COVID-19 spread and I haven't gotten to meet my regular dentist due to appts being 4 months delayed already.
Any advice? Anything, please?
Thank you

You don't mention how long ago the extraction was but at least 2 weeks ago, right?

The tissue surrounding an extracted tooth can be very tender for quite a long time. Recently I had an extraction and the gums stayed tender (couldn't brush comfortably in that area) for about a year. They're finally better but it was a long slog.

I think the pizza or something else--even a toothbrush bristle--might have scratched the area. If you keep an eye on the site and watch for signs of infection--puffiness, swelling, pain, pus--and carefully but gently brush and rinse after every meal, it should calm down. But give it time.

Amind4heaves 03-26-2020 05:40 PM

It was 2 months ago that the tooth was extracted!
It was a very dull light pink last I checked. Then a dark pink after whatever trauma I caused and now is red. I was just worried that I may have done something irreversible to it. It looks like I set healing back weeks based on the color inside the hole now.
Thank you for your reply.

agate 03-26-2020 09:44 PM

I'm sorry I must have been asleep at the wheel because I missed your heading where you say the extraction was 2 months ago.

Still, as I said, sometimes that gum area can take a really long time to get over its tenderness. Unless you have obvious signs of infection, why not trust to time --and treating the area gently? T