NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Where to start? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/255399-start.html)

jhhudson1212 04-12-2020 08:24 PM

Where to start?

Over the past several weeks I am been dealing with some sensations. Many times throughout the day my left hand tends to tingle or pins and needles. Specifically thumb and index most often. Sometimes during the day I will get the same sensation in left foot. At night, every night, several times per night, I awake to one or both arms being asleep. I also often have a very dry mouth when waking up. I do have sleep apnea and can not sleep with a cpap. This might be unrelated.

I spoke with my GP. He was not concerned and dismissive. Said that my concern of possibly diabetes was could likely be ruled out. Said that PN typically is a late sign of diabetes, not early, and not showing the other primary symptoms. He said the hand stuff if likely related to a sleeping position.

I have drastically changed my diet since the first of the year, greatly reducing carbs. Read some about vitamin deficiencies and would not think carbs would have anything to do with this, but wanted to mention.

What should I do to start to figure out what’s going on? Push for blood work? Don’t even know if that is happening because of CV. I do have medicinal anxiety, but not sure if this is something to be really concerned about and if so, if I need to catch it early. I am not having any pain.

Look forward to any comments or questions.

caroline2 04-12-2020 09:22 PM

OP: My first comments are:

Do you take any pharma drugs, many can cause issues like you mention.

Any surgeries in recent months/years?

Drink alcohol.

You say no diabetes and it's good anyway to reduce carbs/sugars.

Your age and male/female, hard to know unless posters mention this.

Thanks.

Snoopy 04-12-2020 10:26 PM

Hi jhhudson1212 and welcome to NeuroTalk.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhhudson1212 (Post 1285520)
I do have sleep apnea and can not sleep with a cpap.

Sleep Apnea means you stop breathing x amount of times a night. Each time you top breathing your heart also stops. Untreated sleep apnea (not using a CPAP) puts you at a higher risk for a heart attack or stroke.

Untreated Sleep Apnea might be the cause of your symptoms but the only way to know is to use a CPAP continuously. A dry mouth at night would indicate you sleep with your mouth open.

jhhudson1212 04-13-2020 08:05 AM

Yes. Take cymbalta, klonopin and trazadone. Have been on all of these for over 5 years.

No surgeries

No alcohol.

Male, 44

Thanks!!

jhhudson1212 04-13-2020 08:08 AM

Absolutely recognize the need to use the cpap. And could certainly be related to the dry mouth.

The arm/feet/hands tingling is what is confusing. Are you suggesting this could be related to sleep apnea? Even related to it happening during the day?

numbfoot 04-13-2020 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhhudson1212 (Post 1285533)
Yes. Take cymbalta, klonopin and trazadone. Have been on all of these for over 5 years.

No surgeries

No alcohol.

Male, 44

Thanks!!

Why are you taking the drugs?