NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Generic meds (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/255458-generic-meds.html)

bruegger84 04-24-2020 04:53 PM

Generic meds

How would you distinguish between different generic meds? it should be a website that tells you which store has which generic for which medication.

This is important due to zantac and valsartan having different substances in them causing cancer abd sickness.

agate 04-24-2020 05:33 PM

Earlier it looked as if only generic forms of Zantac were creating problems but now all Zantac/ranitidine has been recalled:

FDA Requests Removal of All Ranitidine Products (Zantac) from the Market | FDA

Valsartan was found to contain the same harmful ingredient (NDMA) as ranitidine. It's not clear to me whether just the generic form of valsartan was recalled or if the brand-name versions were recalled as well.

Valsartan Recall | Why Is the FDA Recalling Valsartan?

Generic drugs can usually be taken instead of the brand-name drugs but there have been questions about some of them:

Do generic drugs compromise on quality? - Harvard Health

I don't know of a Website that lists which stores carry which generics but at Drugs.com you can find out all of the names for a specific drug (generic and brand names).

kiwi33 04-24-2020 05:48 PM

I have found the drugs.com site very useful.

Drugs.com | Prescription Drug Information, Interactions & Side Effects

bruegger84 04-26-2020 11:56 AM

Yah drugs.com is useful, but i dont need to know the name of a generic form.

But it does not tell you which generic mfg is at which pharmacy store. I do know all about generic names. But finding which generic mfg is at which store could be helpful for detail oriented people.

I even watched a documentary on sizurp, lean, or purple drank as the rap community calls it. It is basically a codeine/ promethazine cough syrup that they drink in the south.

And you would think they would not be particular about their generics, but they always point to the fact that the Actavis is the best, and most expensive.

I'm not talking about taking any of this drank stuff but just making a point of how specific generics can work differently, but your doctor is most likely to put you on the cheapest one( or at least defintely not the name brand.)

agate 04-26-2020 12:41 PM

Could you ask around at various pharmacies about a specific drug? They might be willing to tell you which manufacturer they're using for the generic version of a drug they're dispensing.

bruegger84 04-27-2020 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agate (Post 1285870)
Could you ask around at various pharmacies about a specific drug? They might be willing to tell you which manufacturer they're using for the generic version of a drug they're dispensing.

Yes, Ive done that before, so been there done that but mostly independent pharmacies will look into getting a certain generic for you.

I know that dr. Reddys makes crappy drugs as you can see some of their reviews. Im not saying dont take your drug. But sometimes they put things ib there that can be toxic.

As for knowing a generic for a certain drug, or knowing a brand name, I get that down.