NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Dizziness, Vertigo--Inner Ear Problems? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/255486-dizziness-vertigo-inner-ear.html)

Streetlegal 05-02-2020 01:18 PM

Dizziness, Vertigo--Inner Ear Problems?

Hi all,

I've developed dizziness and vertigo over the last month or so, particularly when moving--eg., rolling in bed, lying down, standing up. I can lose balance. Only lasts for a few seconds.

I messaged my Neuro who said that it was likely to be an inner-ear problem (vestibular) that can come and go in people with PN.

Anyone else have experience or information on this condition?

Thanks,
Paul

caroline2 05-02-2020 01:28 PM

Medications can and often do cause vertigo issues and a friend dealt with this while taking gabapentin....she's off the drug now and doing good. Finally went to Grape Seed Extract and it's been wel over 8 yrs for her and she's WAS a major allopathic medicine person. Also, Grape Seed Extract cross the blood brain barrier and gives us more protection overall. I've been taking it for close to 25 yrs.

Randonneur 05-02-2020 04:24 PM

This can be caused by bppv benign paroximal positional vertigo.

It can be checked by a procedure of moving your head when lying on your back on a bed. Then the Epley procedure id used to get rid of it.

You can do your own research and get a friend to do the procedure or your doctor should be able to do it.

I had this and ended up fixing it myself, and got the nhs to perform it as well as it can take a few goes.

If you've had concussion and banged your head you may have dislodged crystals that are formed on stems in the ear. If these are dislodged they can end up going down vestibular canals and affecting the flow of liquid that determines your balance. This disturbance confuses the brain which then sends a vertigo signal because it can't determine which way you are moving because the signals are different between balance systems from both ears.

caroline2 05-02-2020 04:54 PM

I should have posted this link in #2 with my info.

Grape Seed Extract Benefit for Brain - Care Foundation

Streetlegal 05-02-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline2 (Post 1286017)
I should have posted this link in #2 with my info.

Grape Seed Extract Benefit for Brain - Care Foundation

Thanks. What quantity do you take?
Paul

Streetlegal 05-02-2020 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randonneur (Post 1286012)
This can be caused by bppv benign paroximal positional vertigo.

It can be checked by a procedure of moving your head when lying on your back on a bed. Then the Epley procedure id used to get rid of it.

You can do your own research and get a friend to do the procedure or your doctor should be able to do it.

I had this and ended up fixing it myself, and got the nhs to perform it as well as it can take a few goes.

If you've had concussion and banged your head you may have dislodged crystals that are formed on stems in the ear. If these are dislodged they can end up going down vestibular canals and affecting the flow of liquid that determines your balance. This disturbance confuses the brain which then sends a vertigo signal because it can't determine which way you are moving because the signals are different between balance systems from both ears.

Thanks. I wondered about BPPV myself as the symptoms seem to fit (though I haven't banged my head). Otherwise it is more serious--presumably involving something to do with my PN but I'm not sure what.

Atticus 05-03-2020 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streetlegal (Post 1286007)
Hi all,

I've developed dizziness and vertigo over the last month or so, particularly when moving--eg., rolling in bed, lying down, standing up. I can lose balance. Only lasts for a few seconds.

I messaged my Neuro who said that it was likely to be an inner-ear problem (vestibular) that can come and go in people with PN.

Anyone else have experience or information on this condition?

Thanks,
Paul

Do you get back, jaw or neck pain too?

Streetlegal 05-03-2020 10:35 AM

Hi Atticus, I have had some neck pain/strain.

agate 05-03-2020 10:52 AM

Hi Streetlegal,
I've had vertigo episodes and they're miserable.

They can be caused by any number of problems but the first place the doctors look is the ears because of those semicircular canals that control your balance, located in the ears.

You want to be careful with vertigo. The first episode I had was severe. I couldn't move my head even a fraction of an inch without setting off waves of vertigo, and everything was spinning. I made the mistake of trying to get to the bathroom alone, didn't make it back from there and blacked out, fell face forward, and knocked out my front teeth. I was only 20 at the time but that seems to have been a first episode of what turned out to be multiple sclerosis, but that wasn't found until I was 39, when a flock of other symptoms had been developing.

I've had other vertigo episodes since then but thankfully not any that bad. I keep a supply of meclizine on hand at all times just in case because sometimes it has helped. It's still known as Dramamine, I think, and is a motion sickness remedy but it can work with vertigo.

I'm not suggesting that you have MS--just saying that vertigo has many different causes, and I hope you can get yours figured out, with a remedy for it.:)

Streetlegal 05-03-2020 03:32 PM

The idea of MS is too scary to complicate.

Atticus: why did you ask about neck pain?