NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   Has anyone tried arginine for dealing with cold hands/feet? (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/255487-tried-arginine-dealing-cold-hands-feet.html)

newToSFN 05-03-2020 01:54 AM

Has anyone tried arginine for dealing with cold hands/feet?

Hi all,
I'm wondering if any of you have tried any products with L-arginine to cope with cold hands and feet. People suspect cold hands/feet are caused by poor circulation and L-arginine improves circulation.

If you've tried arginine to warm your hands or feet, which specific products have worked for you?

kiwi33 05-03-2020 02:05 AM

This is admittedly a small study but it provides no evidence that taking L-arginine as a supplement improves blood circulation.

L-Arginine supplementation does not enhance blood flow and muscle performance in healthy and physically active older women. - PubMed - NCBI

Atticus 05-03-2020 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newToSFN (Post 1286029)
Hi all,
I'm wondering if any of you have tried any products with L-arginine to cope with cold hands and feet. People suspect cold hands/feet are caused by poor circulation and L-arginine improves circulation.

If you've tried arginine to warm your hands or feet, which specific products have worked for you?

Unfortunately because I am a new member I am not allowed to post links, but some things you might like to consider for improving circulation are

1. Nose breathing, it sounds ridiculous but Google this, try Oxygen Advantage on YouTube. Also Dr Weil, who speaks specifically about warming cold hands with breathing exercises. The idea is to transport more oxygen to the periphery.

2. Beetroot Juice, it increases nitric oxide in blood and acts as a vaso dilator, it lowers BP too.

3. Aspirin. As above.

4. The obvious one is exercise.

I would save your money on L-arginine

bruegger84 05-03-2020 10:14 PM

I have also used gabapentin, there is a study on it, supposedly regaining limb function after an injury:

caroline2 05-03-2020 10:48 PM

I have never worked with Arginine and I can only swear by Grape Seed Extract for circulatory issues. I've been taking it close to 25 yrs and at 82, my circulation is healthy, no cold hands or feet.

newToSFN 05-12-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline2 (Post 1286078)
I have never worked with Arginine and I can only swear by Grape Seed Extract for circulatory issues. I've been taking it close to 25 yrs and at 82, my circulation is healthy, no cold hands or feet.

Okay, thanks for the reply! I'll look into grape seed extract.

newToSFN 05-12-2020 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruegger84 (Post 1286077)
I have also used gabapentin, there is a study on it, supposedly regaining limb function after an injury:

Thanks for the reply! I was prescribed gabapentin, but I don't think I'll be taking it due to difficulty to withdraw from it.

newToSFN 05-12-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi33 (Post 1286031)
This is admittedly a small study but it provides no evidence that taking L-arginine as a supplement improves blood circulation.

L-Arginine supplementation does not enhance blood flow and muscle performance in healthy and physically active older women. - PubMed - NCBI

Hi- thanks for the helpful article.

newToSFN 05-12-2020 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atticus (Post 1286037)
Unfortunately because I am a new member I am not allowed to post links, but some things you might like to consider for improving circulation are

1. Nose breathing, it sounds ridiculous but Google this, try Oxygen Advantage on YouTube. Also Dr Weil, who speaks specifically about warming cold hands with breathing exercises. The idea is to transport more oxygen to the periphery.

2. Beetroot Juice, it increases nitric oxide in blood and acts as a vaso dilator, it lowers BP too.

3. Aspirin. As above.

4. The obvious one is exercise.

I would save your money on L-arginine

Hi- thanks so much for the tips! I'll check out Oxygen Advantage and give beetroot juice a shot.

agate 05-12-2020 07:30 PM

Hi NewToSFN,
I found this about L-arginine--from Medical News Today (June 2017):

L-arginine: Potential benefits, side effects, and risks