NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   COVID 19 & low Vitamin D (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/255519-covid-19-low-vitamin.html)

ashleyk 05-08-2020 12:23 PM

COVID 19 & low Vitamin D

Vitamin D could make the difference.

The role of vitamin D in the prevention of coronavirus disease 219 infection and mortality | SpringerLink
details Abstract

WHO declared SARS-CoV-2 a global pandemic. The present aim was to propose an hypothesis that there is a potential association between mean levels of vitamin D in various countries with cases and mortality caused by COVID-19. The mean levels of vitamin D for 20 European countries and morbidity and mortality caused by COVID-19 were acquired. Negative correlations between mean levels of vitamin D (average 56 mmol/L, STDEV 10.61) in each country and the number of COVID-19 cases/1 M (mean 295.95, STDEV 298.7, and mortality/1 M (mean 5.96, STDEV 15.13) were observed. Vitamin D levels are severely low in the aging population especially in Spain, Italy and Switzerland. This is also the most vulnerable group of the population in relation to COVID-19. It should be advisable to perform dedicated studies about vitamin D levels in COVID-19 patients with different degrees of disease severity.

caroline2 05-08-2020 01:56 PM

This issue is a real Sore Spot in my being. I can only imagine how many could be alive IF their Vit D levels were optimal. All those poor souls with health conditions and no Vit D -- many are gone.

But all the WHO people talk about is masks, distancing and gloves, etc...NOTHING about improving ALL immune systems and Vit D (hormone) is a major one).

Jomar 05-08-2020 07:10 PM

I saw a related story here-
Severity of COVID-19 may depend on where you're located on the map, new study suggests
By Mark Puleo, AccuWeather staff writer
Updated may. 7, 2020 7:02 PM
Accuweather article

More -
covid 19 & low vitamin d - Google Search

caroline2 05-08-2020 09:08 PM

I hear our mayor every day with his CV update and it's all about Masks, Distancing, Staying HOME, and all that stuff and NEVER advising the population and especially older people to get their Immune systems built up and Strengthened and I want to scream at him.

Just sent him an email on how he is failing the people. Whether he ever hears or reads it, I don't know, but it's off my chest for now. Extremely sad and negligent of the govermental people.

olsen 05-29-2020 01:35 AM

Vit D and safety measures for COVID-19

The measures to decrease the spread of Coronavirus are of paramount importance. One need not trade off improving one’s immune system for protective measures. There is room for both. Those safety measures will stop one from contacting the virus, whether one has a good immune system or not. Frequent hand washing, wearing masks while out, social distancing are all very important measures.

kiwi33 05-29-2020 01:57 AM

Olsen, what you have described has worked very well both here and in NZ.

NZ now has only one active case of Covid-19 infection. That is no excuse for relaxing the rules because there may be people there who are infected but currently asymptomatic.

caroline2 05-29-2020 01:49 PM

I have worked for years on keeping my immune system strong so I'm not too worried about getting the CV , but what I've learned more and more from all this, taking a zinc supplement on a regular basis. I have taken it years ago and slacked off for many years and now back on...and I use a zinc/copper combo as they are needed to work best for our bodies.

Our politicians don't talk about supplements etc...but surprisingly our president talks about taking zinc with his pharma drug for CV prevention. ummm

kiwi33 05-29-2020 07:24 PM

People with auto-immune diseases (SLE for example) can be thought of as having unusually "strong" immune systems.

I am not aware of any supplements (Zn, Cu or anything else) which provide them with any therapeutic advantage by making their immune systems less unusually "strong".