NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Unable to talk? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/255594-unable-talk.html)

miss2000 06-10-2020 10:30 AM

Unable to talk?

Hello folks,

Has anyone experienced a time when after pushing yourself too hard, you ended up with overstimulated brain that feels as if it’s on fire, brain fog, lethargic and unable to talk as talking really hurting your brain? Anytime I try to say a word during such a flare up , I get a zapped feeling in my brain and have to stop.

THANK YOU!!

DrewDigital 06-18-2020 07:28 PM

Yes - I have a very limited capacity for conversation. Read the blog in my signature to find out more.

The reason is inflammation. If you've had multiple concussions then the brain's ability to regulate inflammation becomes compromised and it pumps out too much inflammation in response to a given stressor. Inflammation is what causes the symptoms so that's why you experience increased sensitivities or intense symptoms following over-exerting yourself.

Take a high dose of curcumin and fish oil when you experience those intense symptoms to help put out the fire.

Lower your activity to a level that you can tolerate comfortably with minimal pain. For most people that's just quiet time around the house but in more severe cases that may mean bedrest. Once your condition stabilizes and begins to improve, then gradually increase your level of activity. Use the pain as a gauge of how much you can do so as to not induce excessive inflammation.

Adopt an anti-inflammatory / ketogenic / sugar free / gluten free / organic diet to help keep the inflammation down. Also try colon cleansing and detoxification because poor gut health causes inflammation in the brain. Many people have a buildup of fecal waste in their gut so you want to do everything you can to stop fueling the fire.

miss2000 06-20-2020 07:16 PM

Thank you so much for this info! Inflammation does make sense . I remember your article- thank you for sharing. It’s unbelievable and so scary at the same time- thanks for spreading the word!
How much of the function you were able to restore to this day? You are saying conversations remain a struggle? Have you done any testing? Were you able to find a doctor to help with this?

Thanks again!!

DrewDigital 06-24-2020 07:25 PM

Long story short, I've been bedridden for the past three years.

I was doing good after I wrote the 2016 blog. I was out of bed for a year and I was making steady improvements. I went to a concert in Vegas, and went on a cruise and partied in the nightclubs. Of course the music was super loud but it didn't bother me until about midnight which is when I knew my brain has reached its capacity for loud music.

Then we were on a road trip down in Mexico in May of 2017 and the roads were really rough. The van rocked and I bumped my head on the side pillar. I knew there was no way I'd survive the drive back home on rough roads, given what had happened in the past. So we chartered a plane to fly my dad and I to Tijuana, crossed the border, rented a car, and drove the rest of the way to LA with me lying on the back seat.

Once I was back home my head just fell apart and I was back in bed with all the same symptoms and extreme sensitivities as the first bedrest stint. For a year and 3 months. And then I bumped my head on the desk and again I was back in bed for another eight months.

Then I worked up enough strength to get out of bed again and go outside, for a few weeks. I thought I was doing good so I invited a friend over for dinner. We ended up talking a lot more than what I was used to. That night my head had a shaking sensation from all the talking that wouldn't stop. And I haven't been able to get out of bed since then and that was a year ago.

I have a long history of concussions and as time progresses, it's becoming more clear what is going on. Inflammation rages out of control in response to the slightest bit of aggravation to the point where just talking to a friend has resulted in a year of bedrest.

But I'm still improving and I should be making another comeback soon.

funnylegs4 06-24-2020 10:13 PM

I have seen this in Stroke and TBI before. Pacing yourself and knowing your limits helps so you don't hit these Neurologic walls if you know what I mean. Good luck!

DrewDigital 06-27-2020 07:26 PM

Are you improving, Missy? What makes it better? What makes it worse? Do the things you can, don't do things you can't.

miss2000 06-28-2020 07:21 PM

Oh, my.. I’m so sorry!!’ I can’t even imagine.. what are your symptoms??

I’m slowly improving but screens and conversations are still tough

funnylegs4 07-01-2020 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by miss2000 (Post 1287259)
Oh, my.. I’m so sorry!!’ I can’t even imagine.. what are your symptoms??

I’m slowly improving but screens and conversations are still tough

I have heard screens are hard on someone who experiences Neurofatigue which I think is what you have. Perhaps because of the blue light that screens emit. I'm not sure. Have a way to write things when you have trouble talking if you can, in case you need help or something while in this exhausted state. :)