NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Stats about concussion without head hit (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/255696-stats-concussion-head-hit.html)

Jessinthewilderness 07-06-2020 02:39 PM

Stats about concussion without head hit

does anyone know anything about the forces required to get a concussion without hitting your head?

i always hear this concussion fact thrown around, but wondering what kind of force is actually needed to get a concussion without hitting your head.

previously four concussions - tripped over a cord yesterday and didn't fall but head jolted. increased symptoms since then.

telling myself people trip all the time but wondering if anyone knows what is required to get a concussion without a head hit? i always hear that it's possible but wondering the circumstances it would take. thank you

Mark in Idaho 07-06-2020 11:31 PM

You need to separate whiplash from concussions. Whiplash can manifest symptoms that are the same as a concussion.

Trips are usually whiplash events.

My daughter suffered a concussion without hitting her head in a car collision. Her Toyota 4x4 pickup was taco'ed with a bent frame.

Her sternum and rib cage was also taco'ed. Broken ribs and sternum and a good case of whiplash and a concussion. Her seat belt snagged her real hard.

Your neck and spine and maybe chest will be traumatized if the deceleration is enough to cause a concussion.

Digamma 07-07-2020 03:32 AM

Hello Mark in Idaho,

I actually have a quick question relating to this. Today, I was playing soccer on my own, dribbling the ball, and ended up tripping. I fell forward on my arms and scratched them, leading to some wounds on my arms. I've had one concussion and another concussion-like event (you responded to a post of mine recently).

Based on this, would you say that I probably didn't get a concussion from this fall? I would think that my arms and body took much of the impact, protecting my head. Before my last concussion-like event (a fall on the ice on my buttocks), I would not have worried about events like these, but after it, I have become wary of such falls. Based on your post, I would conclude that the fall could not have triggered a concussion, but I wanted to know your opinion given that I've already had one concussion, and another fall on the ice where I didn't hit my head, but had symptoms similar to a concussion (though neck issues might be involved in the last fall).

I also struggle with anxiety, and so I know that might see symptoms appear that come from a psychological reaction.

Mark in Idaho 07-07-2020 08:48 PM

I do not answer irrational questions that are often driven by anxiety and OCD.

It take 60 Gs or more to cause a concussion.

A 16 pound bowling ball dropped 12 inches onto your head would likely cause a 60 G impact.

If you play soccer, do not head the ball. That can be a subconcussive impact that, when they accumulate, be damaging.