NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Will Chemo PN get worse later as I age ??? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/255705-chemo-pn-worse-age.html)

v5118lKftfk 07-08-2020 03:03 PM

Will Chemo PN get worse later as I age ???

Hello,

I have mild-moderate pn from chemo I had six years ago.

Does anyone know whether it will now continue to get worse as I age or remain fairly stable?

I have the feeling I am slowly getting more numbness and pins and needles but not sure how much more has crept up on me.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Kitt 07-08-2020 04:39 PM

I have read six to twelve months before you feel better. Maybe others know. Hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Kitt

neuro74 07-09-2020 01:11 AM

I have chemo induced np since 6 months. nothing have changed yet in any direction. Although in theory and according to literature it should not get worse after treatment is stopped, I have read from patients reporting that it got worse over time. But then others report small improvements in the first months and then stagnation, and others even very small improvements after years. My conclusion is that everyone is different and I force myself to believe that chances are better for chemo induced np as in comparison to diabetic and ideopathic np the cause is eliminated at least.

v5118lKftfk 07-09-2020 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neuro74 (Post 1287488)
I have chemo induced np since 6 months. nothing have changed yet in any direction. Although in theory and according to literature it should not get worse after treatment is stopped, I have read from patients reporting that it got worse over time. But then others report small improvements in the first months and then stagnation, and others even very small improvements after years. My conclusion is that everyone is different and I force myself to believe that chances are better for chemo induced np as in comparison to diabetic and ideopathic np the cause is eliminated at least.

Big Thanks.

Yes, my followed the pattern most people report in the beginning.

Now that I'm looking at several decades in the future of living with the results of chemo pn, I'm wondering what tends to happen over the very long term.

neuro74 07-09-2020 09:33 AM

may I ask what your development was in the last 5 years then? I would assume if it has not gotten worse, it will not in a decade or later if you do not add new damage to the nerves by diabetes, toxins etc.

Kitt 07-09-2020 10:47 AM

I think it also depends on the kind of chemo.

Kitt

caroline2 07-09-2020 01:52 PM

OP: Hard to know how long this PN goes on, I live with it going on 10 yrs from hip surgery...no chemo so I have no experience there.

I've posted about Inosine and Neuropathy and you can search that one for Nerve Damage issues....it's worked the best for me.

v5118lKftfk 07-09-2020 02:26 PM

Thanks everyone for their thoughts. I had carboplatinum and taxol.

It got much better in the first six months, a little better in the first year, and has been the same since then, except lately I have felt the more burning, new jolts and zaps and the numbness spread to new areas.

Not sure if this is a temporary thing due to recent feet activity and so I became curious whether I should expect my feet to deteriorate as I age.

I have always learned way more from this forum than any doctor. :)

kiwi33 07-09-2020 09:39 PM

From a search on drugs.com:

Neurotoxicity (mainly peripheral neuropathy) occurs in about 10% of cases for taxol.

Taxol Side Effects: Common, Severe, Long Term - Drugs.com

I can not find a direct link to carboplatinum but assuming it is related to cisplatin neurotoxicity seems to be rare (less than 0.1%).

Cisplatin Side Effects: Common, Severe, Long Term - Drugs.com

v5118lKftfk 07-10-2020 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi33 (Post 1287510)
From a search on drugs.com:

Neurotoxicity (mainly peripheral neuropathy) occurs in about 10% of cases for taxol.

Taxol Side Effects: Common, Severe, Long Term - Drugs.com

I can not find a direct link to carboplatinum but assuming it is related to cisplatin neurotoxicity seems to be rare (less than 0.1%).

Cisplatin Side Effects: Common, Severe, Long Term - Drugs.com

Thanks for your thoughts.