NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Alcoholism, Addiction and Recovery (https://www.neurotalk.org/alcoholism-addiction-and-recovery/)
-   -   Severe Alcoholic asks for some Answers Please: My legs do not Work... (https://www.neurotalk.org/alcoholism-addiction-and-recovery/255749-severe-alcoholic-answers-please-legs.html)

Sean O 07-22-2020 01:17 AM

Severe Alcoholic asks for some Answers Please: My legs do not Work...

Hi, Im new here looking for some information please.
Some background:
I started drinking very heavy at about age 55, im 61 now. Lost everything, considered suicide. Went through 3 inpatient programs (Graduated all 3),First 2 failed (was not ready to quit) "Started drinking again within a week). 3rd one is working (ready to quit, or die). 400+ days sober, One Day at a Time... I have cirrhosis of the liver. My Question to this Forum is: During my last months of severe alcoholism some days my legs would not work, they weren't numb or tingling, they just did not work, I could not stand on them. I had to slide on the floor to go to the bathroom, barely pull myself up to sit on the toilet, could not stand. Shimmy on my butt back to the bed, and it was VERY difficult to climb up on my bed. Legs were dead...
Am I at the right Forum?
Cheers,
Sean O.
:confused2:

Jomar 07-22-2020 02:00 PM

I would get it checked out just to be sure there is no other reason for the weakness.....
Smoking or other medications OTC or RX can be a factor..

Kitt 07-22-2020 04:39 PM

Welcome Sean O. Hope you find answers.

Kitt

Sean O 07-23-2020 01:06 AM

My body is now back to normal (what ever normal is, or was) after quitting alcohol. I do not or ever smoked, take very little meds. I also consult my doctor frequently, she does not have any specific answers, all she says keep doing what your doing now, it's working...

caroline2 07-23-2020 01:48 PM

Good to hear and I guess you are up on your legs and walking. Did you come to any reasons for the issue?

Sean O 07-25-2020 01:25 AM

Nope, that's why i'm here... ???

caroline2 07-25-2020 01:11 PM

Pardon me, if I read your original post you could not walk and came for answers...now you are saying you are fine and walking and my question to you was "do you know what changed" to get back to walking. So I suppose you don't know or are we misunderstanding each other...thanks.

Gewan 12-29-2020 05:50 PM

Sorry to hear about this! [emoji179]
How are things now, six months later? [emoji848]

Icehouse 01-04-2021 02:31 PM

Hey Sean,

This happened to me too, and it all worked out, with no real explanation.

I stayed off the booze and it SLOWLY resolved it itself...even the cirrhosis.

Good luck!

Vowel Lady 04-20-2021 07:24 PM

Sean. It is wonderful that you quit alcohol. No doubt that is what caused or greatly contributed to your walking /leg pain issues. Drinking excessively causes horrible health problems and can very well be fatal. Please stay strong. Get help as you need it. And continue to tell your story. Blessings.