NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Benfotiamine (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/255899-benfotiamine.html)

tnthomas 08-29-2020 05:25 PM

Benfotiamine

Has anyone tried Benfotiamine for their PN?

Quote:

Benfotiamine is a synthetic S-acyl derivative of thiamine that sold as a medication or dietary supplement to treat diabetic neuropathy.
After being diagnosed, I tried the B12 sublingual for about a year. Blood labs confirmed the B12 regimen in fact raised the level in my body. But, there was no noticeable improvement. Later, a P.A. told me the absolute cure for my numbness would be to take B6. However, Google-search revealed that B6 could actually make the PN worse.

I am willing to experiment further with supplements, just getting a little tired of throwing away $$ on ones that don't work.

caroline2 08-29-2020 05:44 PM

I have used this product and not right now...why I'm not sure. I've fallen off taking some of my supplements in the last couple yrs. BUT, like everything we try and use, we are all Unique and Different and what might work for me, may not for you and vice versa....and I find best results with what I've been taking and will have to look at the Thiamine product again. thanks.

beifeng 08-29-2020 07:04 PM

Thiamine in large quantities can be very therapeutic for all kinds of neuropathies. It's hard to say if it would work for you, but it's very safe to try. Benfotiamine is good; some would argue that Allithiamine or Lipothiamine are better because they cross the blood-brain barrier, but I've seen success stories from all of these variants.

Dexter454 08-30-2020 12:34 PM

Yes, I too was thinking on trying the benfotiamine also to see if I can get any benefit . I have also read online about the B-6 and was a little concerned if it can cause more damage. Right now I eat a multi vitamin with B-6 in it at 3MG at 150% DV but I think that is a low dose of it? not sure.

Kitt 08-30-2020 12:47 PM

Too much Vitamin B6 can cause problems with your nerves and other side effects.

Kitt

tnthomas 08-30-2020 01:04 PM

I should start a poll, my PN is primarily numbness, with just occasional nerve lightening bolts. A lot of people suffer mainly from the hot pricks and jabs and other sensory anomalies. I haven't seen much talk, but wonder if anybody ever experiences a reversal of the numbness?

caroline2 08-30-2020 01:35 PM

I take B6 in the P5P form....good to do research on these and don't just buy one opinion. I take 50mg nightly and this also helps me get my 8-10 hrs of good REM healing sleep.

What Are the Health Benefits of P5P? | Livestrong.com

OP: Have you considered working with Inosine, I have talked about how it helps my burn/tingle issues.

Dexter454 08-30-2020 01:43 PM

Mine seems to have progressed with numbness in my feet and calves mostly but have never any type of reversal pretty much steady and slowly growing more numb. Most of my stuff that is bothersome in in the order of sensory problems is with skin burning in a lot of places, muscle movement. Not any jolts or hot pricks but I sure do burn.

tnthomas 09-01-2020 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline2 (Post 1288716)

OP: Have you considered working with Inosine, I have talked about how it helps my burn/tingle issues.

I just bought some L-Theanine 250mg (Extra Strength) with Inositol , hoping it will help.

tnthomas 09-08-2020 10:37 PM

I ordered some Benfotiamine from Amazon,

Quote:

Benfotiamine has been studied in laboratory models of diabetic retinopathy, neuropathy, and nephropathy. As of 2015 there had been one clinical study of benfotiamine in diabetic nephropathy. Benfotiamine - Wikipedia