NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Diabetes / Insulin Resistance / Metabolic Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/diabetes-insulin-resistance-metabolic-syndrome/)
-   -   Escaping Diabetes (https://www.neurotalk.org/diabetes-insulin-resistance-metabolic-syndrome/256053-escaping-diabetes.html)

caroline2 10-14-2020 07:29 PM

Escaping Diabetes

Been thinking about this and for the first 3/4 of my life I consumed sweets, high carb foods and have not come down with diabetes... I don't know of any in my family history who have it either......but do recall one grandfather had it and had a foot amputated, I was a young child and I remember this.

In the last probably 20 yrs I've worked to keep sugars and carbs from my mouth, I cheat a little but nothing like I did for my early life.

Last night on my favorite radio show Ben Fuchs a pharmacist who has gone very very alternative/holistic, could not say enough about Eliminating Sugars (refined sugars and carbs) Talked about the value of berries....

So I'm wondering if my body was just good at making insulin?

To add to this he mentioned a recall on some of the dosages of Metformin. They contain a cancer causing ingredient....

Sugars are POISONS....bottom line.

funnylegs4 10-19-2020 12:16 PM

I'm no expert but some people are genetically less likely to develop Insulin resistance and diabetes so maybe you got lucky. I remember one of my former teachers had a bad reaction to that Med.

Lara 11-12-2020 07:02 PM

A very high percentage of women with PCOS [Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome] have Insulin Resistance and that increases their susceptibility for type 2 Diabetes. It has nothing to do with the amount of sugar they ate as children. It's hormonal. Both overweight, 'normal' weight and underweight women who have PCOS can develop insulin resistance.

Having said that though, some people can get their insulin resistance under control and find they don't need insulin medication. Diet and exercize can be really helpful but it's very, very complicated for some people.

My understanding of the Metformin recall was that the extended release was contaminated. It's really important that if people take Metformin that they talk to their doctors about this and not just stop taking it.

caroline2 11-12-2020 08:43 PM

On this subject, and from other groups, I know that people with diabetes or borderline, are known to work with Berberine and looking at it again, it contains Oregon grape, and in so much of grape seed extract into, it's said to help reduce diabetes...so perhaps I've been saved again here, 25 yrs of Grape Seed...

Chemar 11-12-2020 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 1290333)
My understanding of the Metformin recall was that the extended release was contaminated. .

Not all the ER brands, only a few. The rest were cleared.

FDA Updates and Press Announcements on NDMA in Metformin | FDA

Lara 11-12-2020 10:06 PM

Great link thanks. :)
All those more recent updates in the one spot.