NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Banged my head bad - Urgent care sent me on my way (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/256059-banged-head-bad-urgent-care-sent.html)

stevegee 10-18-2020 01:00 PM

Banged my head bad - Urgent care sent me on my way

Hi,

I banged my head really bad today on a window grate on the street. I went to an urgent care center and all they did was look in my eyes and ask me a few questions. They said "If you have any really worse symptoms - head to an ER"

My only symptom is my hearing is off - overly harsh and I dont have a headache. Im wondering if I should head to the ER and get some better treatment. Kinda scared here. Its been about 5 hours since it happened.

Any suggestions would be apprecdiated.

Mark in Idaho 10-19-2020 03:36 AM

stevegee,

If your only symptoms are your hearing issues, I don't think the ER can do anything for you. Most mild concussions require no treatment. Concussions are not treated, Only the symptoms are treated.

If you get a severe headache or dizziness or nausea or loss of motor/muscle control, have somebody take you to the ER.

Otherwise, take it slow if you feel you need to for 24 hours then get back to your normal routine.

stevegee 10-19-2020 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1289834)
stevegee,

If your only symptoms are your hearing issues, I don't think the ER can do anything for you. Most mild concussions require no treatment. Concussions are not treated, Only the symptoms are treated.

If you get a severe headache or dizziness or nausea or loss of motor/muscle control, have somebody take you to the ER.

Otherwise, take it slow if you feel you need to for 24 hours then get back to your normal routine.

Hi Mark,

Hit my head on the side a few inches above my ear. Now when I open my mouth or chew it hurts (seems like there are muscles that move in this area)

Should I get an x ray to see whats going on? Or is this just an inflammation thing that hopefully will improve. Sorry so many questions.

One more - when is it safe to take an anti-inflammatory after this kindve hit.
Thanks

Mark in Idaho 10-19-2020 04:40 PM

You more likely just bruised a joint or muscle.

I doubt you even suffered a concussion. You were startled and bruised. That is enough to cause all of your symptoms, especially if you are prone to anxiety needing Valium.

Stay away from doctors unless you have the symptoms I listed above. Out of liability caution, they tend to put too much emphasis on subjective symptoms.

Give it a few days and you should be fine.