NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Need to take antibiotics. OK with concussion? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/256128-antibiotics-ok-concussion.html)

stevegee 11-07-2020 09:15 AM

Need to take antibiotics. OK with concussion?

Sorry to be asking so many questions but I need to take antibiotics. 3 weeks since concussion.

Is there any info on what antibiotic are safe early in recovery? (I did a search here on site and found very little info)

Thanks

Jomar 11-07-2020 05:22 PM

That's a very good question to ask your doctors..
If you have an infection that needs treatment, make sure the dr knows about all other meds & health issues in your case.

caroline2 11-07-2020 06:49 PM

OP: I agree, discuss with MD.. Now I would NEVER take this class of abx drugs as I know 2 people in my life who have long term damage from taking them...

Fluoroquinolones Too Risky for Common Infections - Consumer Reports

Mark in Idaho 11-08-2020 01:28 AM

I have NEVER read anything about antibiotics being contraindicated after a concussion.

What kind of infection do you have? Some antibiotics hit harder than others.

I had to take a few courses of antibiotics this past year. Eye surgery, hand surgery, hernia surgery, and toe surgery. The warranty ran out and the parts started falling off.

As an anxious person, be prepared for intestinal upset from antibiotics. The gut has almost as many nerve fibers as the brain. The nauseous feeling from trauma or stress is those intestinal nerves getting stimulated. Changing the bacterial balance in your gut could be uncomfortable.

caroline2 11-08-2020 01:17 PM

OP: I'll add if any abx drugs are taken, I have always used probiotics to balance my system. I take probiotics almost daily anyway.

Mark in Idaho 11-08-2020 04:47 PM

The medical science shows that taking probiotics after taking antibiotics is less beneficial than not taking probiotics. When probiotics are taken, the bacteria that grow are out of balance and create a competitive environment for the bacteria that need to get established.

When left to natural progression, the biotic culture in the gut restores to proper balance faster.

Consume fermented foods if you want to enhance the biotic balance. Kefir, yogurt, fermented vegetables (sauerkraut, etc) Avoid fermented soy/tofu. I has to much MSG like free glutamate.

caroline2 11-08-2020 06:24 PM

Whatever OP decides this info suggests taking probiotics 2 hrs before or after taking abx drug.

Hope you have not been too confused OP.

stevegee 11-10-2020 10:05 AM

How bout flu shot? Its that time of year - any issue with concussion? Thanks

Kitt 11-10-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevegee (Post 1290247)
How bout flu shot? Its that time of year - any issue with concussion? Thanks

Not that I have read.

Kitt

funnylegs4 11-16-2020 10:27 PM

antibiotics can make you dizzy depending on what antibiotic it is but it should be fine.