NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Finger prick for blood sugar w/ neuropathy in fingers (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/256344-finger-prick-blood-sugar-neuropathy-fingers.html)

newToSFN 12-29-2020 08:44 PM

Finger prick for blood sugar w/ neuropathy in fingers

For those of you who are diabetic and have neuropathy in your fingers (particularly the palmar aspect), does pricking your fingers to check your blood sugar exacerbate the neuropathy in your fingers?

echoes long ago 12-30-2020 12:26 PM

i wouldnt be able to do that....even the blood tests where they puncture your finger normally, i make them do it on my forearm. the pain it would cause on my fingers would be
through the roof.

newToSFN 12-30-2020 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1291269)
i wouldnt be able to do that....even the blood tests where they puncture your finger normally, i make them do it on my forearm. the pain it would cause on my fingers would be
through the roof.

That's understandable. Is it possible to do a blood sugar test using blood from the forearm? If so, how?

echoes long ago 12-31-2020 01:18 AM

yes, just use the pin prick on your forearm.

Lara 12-31-2020 01:18 AM

Hi there. I'm sure there are other members here who will be able to give you more personal information but in the meantime you should check out ...

Alternate Site Testing (AST)

There is a lot of information online these days about alternate site testing and there is also a vacuum device that is apparently less painful.

JKPHOTO 12-31-2020 10:39 AM

Finger Prick

Right now I don't have much pain in my fingers. I have it everywhere else.
I have used the palm of my hand and it seems to work fine. The issue I have with my fingers is callouses.
They never seem to go away.
Doctor says use different fingers.
So now I have callouses on several fingers.

Happy New Year...

newToSFN 12-31-2020 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1291279)
yes, just use the pin prick on your forearm.

I've found it tough to get blood from my forearm.

newToSFN 12-31-2020 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 1291280)
Hi there. I'm sure there are other members here who will be able to give you more personal information but in the meantime you should check out ...

Alternate Site Testing (AST)

There is a lot of information online these days about alternate site testing and there is also a vacuum device that is apparently less painful.

thank you! Will definitely look into this.

newToSFN 12-31-2020 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKPHOTO (Post 1291283)
Right now I don't have much pain in my fingers. I have it everywhere else.
I have used the palm of my hand and it seems to work fine. The issue I have with my fingers is callouses.
They never seem to go away.
Doctor says use different fingers.
So now I have callouses on several fingers.

Happy New Year...

I have neuropathy in all of my fingers and both of my palms, so I'm considering alternate sites. Happy new Year!