NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Alcoholism, Addiction and Recovery (https://www.neurotalk.org/alcoholism-addiction-and-recovery/)
-   -   There are Many Faces of Addiction (https://www.neurotalk.org/alcoholism-addiction-and-recovery/256395-addiction.html)

caroline2 01-17-2021 02:51 PM

There are Many Faces of Addiction

Born and raised with an alcoholic father, he had a couple beers 2 weeks before he died at 95. He was happy that I had a beer with him. Sad he Never had a clear mind about life, but his fogged life from alcohol.

I attended many AA meetings and other off shoots of AA to get a grasp of my life all this alcohol.. And to hear stories of those who FINALLY cured themselves, they were able to stop and it took a lot of work but they did it.

Then there is sugar, food, shopping, gambling addictions, they are there.

I truly believe I was spared many of them, but now realize what my addiction was and it was Needing a man in my life for decades...one marriage and lots of bf's....but no harm done and I had fun...so it was not the worst addiction one can have. Perhaps this was all because my father was NEVER there for me, a father caring figure was missing. He was not a bad man, just addicted to what controlled him... My mom had no addiction issues, so I believe I'm a lot of who she was.

Talking to another person about this issue, it all came to me I believe....

Peace and Healing!!:hug:

bizi 10-07-2021 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline2 (Post 1291517)
Born and raised with an alcoholic father, he had a couple beers 2 weeks before he died at 95. He was happy that I had a beer with him. Sad he Never had a clear mind about life, but his fogged life from alcohol.

I attended many AA meetings and other off shoots of AA to get a grasp of my life all this alcohol.. And to hear stories of those who FINALLY cured themselves, they were able to stop and it took a lot of work but they did it.

Then there is sugar, food, shopping, gambling addictions, they are there.

I truly believe I was spared many of them, but now realize what my addiction was and it was Needing a man in my life for decades...one marriage and lots of bf's....but no harm done and I had fun...so it was not the worst addiction one can have. Perhaps this was all because my father was NEVER there for me, a father caring figure was missing. He was not a bad man, just addicted to what controlled him... My mom had no addiction issues, so I believe I'm a lot of who she was.

Talking to another person about this issue, it all came to me I believe....

Peace and Healing!!:hug:

I know that you posted this in january but just read it and I hoe you are getting real support From a professional.
Peer support is great it also could help you progress even furthur than where you are now.
bizi

caroline2 10-07-2021 10:30 PM

Thanks Bizi, what I posted is my past, I do no therapy now. And the "real" stuff was the AA rooms that I sat in and heard many many stories.