NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Space X and Starlink satellite system (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/256525-space-starlink-satellite-system.html)

Jomar 02-28-2021 05:57 PM

Space X and Starlink satellite system

I didn't know about these until yesterday...
A SpaceX rocket will launch a Starlink satellite fleet tonight and you can watch it live. Here's how. | Space

Lara 02-28-2021 07:19 PM

Thanks for that.

The satellite trains apparently look really neat if you get to see it in the night sky but I worry about how much is being sent up there. They're also really bright although I think Musk said they were going to make them less shiny so they didn't interfere with the viewing of the night sky. Not sure how many are up there already but it must be in the thousands by now and that's in low orbit. It's certainly going to be making money money money for Musk.

I used to have Skymuster satellite internet because that was all that was available where I lived and that was excellent. Moved to different area now and had to take what I was offered. Lots of Australians now signing up to Starlink Internet and it's not even available here yet.

Starlink Australia Price Availability Revealed - ABC net au.

If it works and it's fast and it's affordable, I'm sure many Australians in rural areas will sign up.

Lara 02-28-2021 10:17 PM

Hey there JoMar, check out this amazing footage. Astronaut Cam.

from ABC news au
Astronaut captures incredible footage of Earth during spacewalk
1min 33sec

"The new panels will be transported to the station by SpaceX — the American aerospace company founded by Elon Musk."

Jomar 02-28-2021 10:27 PM

My son is a logger and saw them early one morning..he didn't know what they were at the time..

I wondered about security/hacker blocking for the internet service, no info on the website about that..
Starlink

Lara 02-28-2021 10:43 PM

Yes of course. I hadn't thought about security.

SpaceX Starlink Satellites Tracker
Where is Starlink right now

Click on Home and Live Info

You need to plug in your own coordinates. Those were my old ones.

Click on Help for more detailed information. e.g. speed they travel and more

Jomar 03-01-2021 12:17 AM

They have a Live world map where you can see all of them as they travel..
At the top of the page you linked click Live Map..

Chemar 03-01-2021 09:20 AM

We watch them being launched from my yard! The night launches are amazing. Even tho we are well west of NASA Cape Canaveral, it's close enough for the smoke plume and glow in the sky as they launch on clear days or nights.
The old Shuttle launches were awesome!

I did look into Starlink's plan when they first invited email subscription for updates of when it would be available in my zone. Does seem a bit pricey tho with $500 for equipment, and then approx $100 a month.

Pretty amazing concept tho and hopefully it will be a big success and price go down!

Lara 03-03-2021 09:21 PM

I just read that the launch in the first post was delayed until Thursday?
I still to this day get confused with the dates as it's into Thursday afternoon here already so that'll be my Friday sometime.

Watch live Thursday: SpaceX to launch 60 Starlink satellites | from Space dot com

I also just saw the photographs of another event from Texas with SpaceX SN10 Starship taking off for a test flight and landing and then exploding. Article said Musk called it a "Rapid Unplanned Disassembly".

Amazing photos around online of these rockets. It's surreal.

Gosh, there's a lot going on up there!
Space calendar 2021: Rocket launches, sky events, missions & more! | from Space dot com

Chemar 03-04-2021 11:05 AM

Yes we had stormy weather delay launch but it did go off early this morning (Thursday) Florida time :) There is video of the launch in the Spectrum news link below

After Numerous Delays, SpaceX Launches Starlink Satellites

Lara 03-04-2021 03:57 PM

Thanks Chemar. I couldn't get the news one to work but was able to find it elsewhere.

After watching the Starship launch and landing, I have, for some reason, a sudden craving to watch "Metropolis" again (and a whole list of other old space and robot movies). Oh, and "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

:BeamUp: