NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Trigeminal Neuralgia with single tooth involvement (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/256632-trigeminal-neuralgia-single-tooth-involvement.html)

onehrt2@gmail.com 04-19-2021 06:54 PM

Trigeminal Neuralgia with single tooth involvement

I have a history of a sensitive tooth being involved with a first episode of trigeminal neuralgia. Tooth pain alleviated but left me with excruciating episodes triggered by eating, talking, random . Started on Tegretol with relief in 4 days. Second episode same tooth but this time continued pain with biting . Emergency dental visit .. tooth numbed diagnostically to determine if tooth infection VS TN. No relief with numbing infact after I left the dentist pain worse. I increased my Tegretol.
I had no let up on pain 24/7 for 4 days always around 7 on pain scale even with opiates, Tylenol and Motrin. The spasms would be frequent shooting pain greater than 10 and would involve my ear, tongue and palate. I developed swelling and skin sensitivity . Back to urgent care I was placed on antibiotics the question here is I had less than 12 hours on antibiotics , 4 days on increased tegretol? I woke the next morning back in the world with a pain level of 2-3. The question and quandary ... Did I have a tooth infection or TN. I am to see in endodontist 8 days post antibiotic I am so worried as first off I do not want to have a root canal if I do not need one especially with TN. I am sending all my scans , X-rays so they have a complete picture. Has anyone had work done to their teeth on the side they have TN. I am terrified it could trigger another horrific episode.
What is everyone’s pain Management plan when they have an episode ? Thank
You for listening.

kiwi33 04-20-2021 05:29 PM

Hi, welcome to NeuroTalk :).

I have no direct experience of what you have described but hope that other members will be able to help you.

Best wishes.

Lara 04-20-2021 06:54 PM

Hi and welcome to the NeuroTalk Support Groups.

I'm so very sorry that you've been in so much pain. Frankly I can't imagine having a root canal with all that going on. Ouch. I hope you're able to delay something like that until you find some answers.

I can't help either but will make a couple of suggestions.

You could post in the Dentistry and Dental Forum and/or the Trigeminal Neuralgia Forum

Unfortunately neither are particularly busy forums but you never know, someone may be, or have been in the past, experiencing similar problems.

I did run a quick search using keywords "Trigeminal Neuralgia tooth" and came up with quite a list of old posts. If you have time you might want to try that.

Advanced Search Feature

Some of the posts I found sounded similar to the pain you have experienced.
All the best to you.

p.s. If you want to, you could ask a moderator if you could change your Username from your email address for privacy reasons.