NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Diabetes / Insulin Resistance / Metabolic Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/diabetes-insulin-resistance-metabolic-syndrome/)
-   -   Anyone Take Berberine and Your Experiences (https://www.neurotalk.org/diabetes-insulin-resistance-metabolic-syndrome/256719-berberine-experiences.html)

caroline2 05-26-2021 06:10 PM

Anyone Take Berberine and Your Experiences

I don't have diabetes and don't want it. But my recent lab report came in at Glucose 120 and A1C 5.7. The highest ever in my 82 yrs on these. And I've cleaned up my diet so much, and wondering if with age Glucose rises? And I can't exercise due to OA and joint damage from hip replacement, so stretching is what I do.

I read that Berberine reduces Glucose levels and some other issues too like reducing inflammation.

Thanks anyone.

glenntaj 05-27-2021 04:01 AM

Glucose levels and insulin resistance--

--absolutely rise with age for most of us; in fact, there has recently been a spate of articles, including one from the New York Times, about how this needs to be recognized more so that "prediabetes"--the level you're just edging into, according to most lab ranges--is not overtreated:

How Meaningful Is Prediabetes for Older Adults? - The New York Times

In my estimation, you're doing pretty well if you're 82 and this is the first time you've edged up to an A1C level of 5.7. And there are always dietary adjustments one can make, but probably the best defense of all is to try to do some weight-bearing exercise, if you can, to build a bit of muscle mass (which can be done at any age); muscle tends to process insulin better than other tissue types and helps with glycemic control.

caroline2 05-27-2021 02:21 PM

Thanks for the reply and I also realized I don't do Fasting labs, have not for many years. So that would also have an influence on the outcome of the labs. And I did get a response from another health member and they have been taking Berberine for a long time, up to 2 grains daily but I will certainly start slowly when I get my supply.

Just the fact that I've taken bread out of my foods over 10 yrs ago is an area where I took control to keep diabetes away.

caroline2 05-27-2021 05:50 PM

Just talking to a friend about this fasting and non fasting labs, and probably the way we need to do labs is non fasting as this is how we go thru life, not in a fasting mode. When labs come up too low or too high then we take actions. My last ones also came up too low in potassium and I like to see them higher, so I'm upping potassium supplements a little. Low potassium can cause more fatigue...and I've been feeling that lately. So back on dosing more, and one can only eat so much potassium rich foods.

glenntaj 05-28-2021 08:36 AM

The glucose reading--

--would definitely be impacted by whether it was taken fasting vs. non-fasting;
the hemoglobin A1C, which is more of an average measure over months, not so much.

That's why most endocrinologists tend to rely on the latter these days.

caroline2 05-28-2021 12:45 PM

Good chance the A1c would have come in Lower had I done the bloodwork Fasting.

Chemar 05-28-2021 12:57 PM

Caroline, A1C is not impacted by fasting in the same way that blood glucose levels are.

caroline2 05-28-2021 01:14 PM

Oh, I didn't know that, I thought they were connected somehow.

caroline2 06-26-2022 12:54 PM

Really good News, just just labs done this week and after a year of taking Berberine, my glucose is down to 84 from 120, so for me
Berberine has been a wonder. My A1C came in at 5.1 vs last year it was 5.7...

So all in all labs were great and I have a couple issues to work on where my B12 and DHEA got too low as I slacked off taking these 2 for some months, so back at them.

And a big one too is my weight, lowest I've been since a teen...I weigh 124 and I know I've lost weight and I think a lot due
to the Global Healing Oxy Powder I've been taking for a colon cleaner.....got rid of a lot of waste I believe.

Anyway, I'm a happier camper.

Atticus 06-27-2022 06:33 AM

I take berberine because I have read of its Metformin like qualities from the successful aging and longevity literature.