NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   anyone know much about valsalva test? Is it harmful? (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/256811-valsalva-test-harmful.html)

Leonards 06-17-2021 06:27 AM

anyone know much about valsalva test? Is it harmful?

Anyone have this trouble? How long does it last?

I had a physio appointment 2 days ago. She had me hold my breath for 10 seconds and bear down as if having a bowel movement. My symptoms are now worse than ever. 10 fold dizziness and head pressure.

What has she done to me? Have I damaged myself even more with this stupid test?

Mark in Idaho 06-17-2021 06:43 PM

Seek an assessment by a physiatrist (physical medicine and rehabilitation) to help you understand these issues. My view is your symptoms are all anxiety related.

Jomar 06-17-2021 06:53 PM

You can websearch for more info and possible issues..
I don't recall it being mentioned here.

Lara 06-17-2021 07:30 PM

I would phone your physiotherapist who you saw to do this valsalva manoeuver.

I would suggest it is ear pressure sensitivity. We all do it to some extent when our ears get blocked in airplanes. Yours just sounds as if they've not unblocked and thus the dizziness. It'll probably settle but phone your physio..

I doubt that you have done any harm. There are some other posts across all forums here for valsalva. Not very many though.

Leonards 06-18-2021 02:41 AM

Mark,

Okay possibly anxiety could be part of it. Still doesn't make sense why symptoms are so much worse now.

I read a post that holding your breath can affect blood flow to the brain. But i was only doing what the physio said to do. If I knew I'd feel like this days after, I never would have tried it.

Leonards 06-18-2021 08:44 AM

Lara,

I've booked to see her next week. Should be an interesting chat.

Mark in Idaho 06-19-2021 02:10 AM

Leonards,

NO, holding your breath does not effect blood flow to the brain. It may change the oxygen content of that blood.

Your statement supports my claim of anxiety. You take a simple statement, misunderstand it, and decide you have caused damage to your brain and manifest memorized symptoms far beyond any logical justification.

Leonards 06-21-2021 12:26 AM

Mark,

I guess I was fearing getting an aneryms a burst blood or something from holding breath and bearing down.

Possibly I'm overreacting. Sorry

Mark in Idaho 06-21-2021 10:49 AM

Maybe you should fear getting run over by a car or in a traffic accident. That is on of the higher risks we all face. Aneurysms are extremely rare.

Tell your physio to not do things to you until you have fully discussed the risks and other issues.