NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Vitamins, Nutrients, Herbs and Supplements (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/)
-   -   Vit D or Cod Liver Oil (https://www.neurotalk.org/vitamins-nutrients-herbs-and-supplements/256824-vit-cod-liver-oil.html)

caroline2 06-22-2021 05:11 PM

Vit D or Cod Liver Oil

Some new "shocking" info came my way today. And I'm an advocate of D3 but this new info, omg, and then reading on Cod Liver Oil. My mother gave CLO to us when we were kids.

Bad News on Vit D

Vitamin D is rat poison — Jody Powell Naturopathic Doctor

Good Info On Cod Liver Oil

COD LIVER OIL: Overview, Uses, Side Effects, Precautions, Interactions, Dosing and Reviews

Hope others will comment. Your input??? What is Truth???

Chemar 06-22-2021 05:21 PM

I think that Jody Powell is being hyper alarmist!

There are many supplements that have other uses, and as long as one follows sensible dosing guidelines, there is potential benefit. I have always felt people who "mega" dose are being irresponsible

As the 2nd link for Cod Liver Oil (which I also grew up with) is WebMD - here is their take on Vit D3 Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) Oral: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

PS I have also seen some articles that suggest Cod liver oil is dangerous now due to all the toxic stuff in the oceans, so one really does need to keep all this in balanced view IMO

caroline2 06-22-2021 06:35 PM

Thanks for the comments, and I agree many drugs and supplements are used for a variety of issues. And then there are the doctors who can, in my life any way, give out info that I don't agree with and another doctor will say something else.

I think about a rheumatlogist I went to and she was so helpful for me, but she kept pushing calcium and I kept pushing magnesium....so we agreed to disagree. I would not back down and take the load of calcium she was recommending.

Atticus 06-28-2021 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chemar (Post 1294131)
I think that Jody Powell is being hyper alarmist!

There are many supplements that have other uses, and as long as one follows sensible dosing guidelines, there is potential benefit. I have always felt people who "mega" dose are being irresponsible

As the 2nd link for Cod Liver Oil (which I also grew up with) is WebMD - here is their take on Vit D3 Cholecalciferol (Vitamin D3) Oral: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD

PS I have also seen some articles that suggest Cod liver oil is dangerous now due to all the toxic stuff in the oceans, so one really does need to keep all this in balanced view IMO

Many top cod liver oil producers claim their products have been purified to remove mercury, as well as other harmful compounds like dioxins, furans, and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). This suggests there is a lot of cheap toxic cod liver/ fish oil out there. Many consider the oceans to be the world's sewer. Why would you want to take a supplement that has to be purified?
The alternative is to take Algae Oil that is grown in safe environmental conditions. Fish do not produce omega 3 they obtain it through their diet of algae. So you can cut out the middle man. I take 100% vegan omega 3 Algae Oil DHA + EPA. Remarkably it tastes of fish, and I wonder do Fish taste of Algae? My mother growing up in rural Wales said that chicken feed during the war was made of fish waste and as a result chickens tasted of fish. I wonder if it was really Algae?

Lara 06-29-2021 12:05 AM

My vegan Vitamin D is made from organic lichen.

I guess that is partly algae?

I'll have to look that up now that you mention algae, Atticus.

The D I take has no sheep lanolin and no gelatin in the capsule.

My green tea tastes like fish sometimes. Ugh. Awful for someone who doesn't eat fish. I'm not going to be able to drink it anymore.

I wouldn't eat anything made of an animal's liver although as others here have said I was fed it as a young child. Ugh again.

btw agar agar (used instead of gelatin) is made from a type of algae. Seaweed is great fertiliser for the garden as well. Coral makes it's own sunscreen as does the Lichen. I think they make a product from coral.

I have to wonder how safe any of these turn out to be. I just read about pollution and how in 19th century lichens were used as a "pollution meter". Oh well, can't worry about absolutely everything can we? :)

caroline2 06-29-2021 08:25 PM

I did more research into that Jody Powell article on D3 is Rat Poison and called her office in WVA and said to change that title, that it is fearing mongering and instilling a lot of fear, it did in me.

And it did in my daughter as she "bought it" and pushed the fear in me.

Higher doses of Cholecalciferol is in rat/ mouse poison, but it's HIGH amounts.

To think that we Humans take, I do anyway, 5000 IU's of D3 and this is 125 mcg. Very small amount for a big person vs a small creature like a mouse.

We'll see if she changes her article title.