NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Anxiety and OCD (https://www.neurotalk.org/anxiety-and-ocd/)
-   -   Meds for OCD (https://www.neurotalk.org/anxiety-and-ocd/256879-meds-ocd.html)

tnthomas 07-16-2021 08:00 PM

Meds for OCD

I've just started counseling with an LCSW through Kaiser Permanente. Even-though I told initially her that I wasn't interested in meds, I'm having second thoughts and am of the mind to request them in our next appointment.
My condition is moderate, not what one would categorize as "clinical".

I'd like to request meds by name, I'm familiar with Trazodone and Celexa and have read up on and thought Wellbutrin might be effective.

I'd like to hear your experiences & recommendations for medications that would be not only effective, but not too over bearing with undesirable side effects.

Lara 07-17-2021 04:12 PM

I'm in another country so I am aware that the system is different here but I'm wondering why you are seeing a social worker instead of a psychologist or your doctor? The only people who can prescribe here are doctors including psychiatrists. Even the psychologist has to refer on if they deem a patient requires medication.

Medications can be so hit and miss. They take a bit to get used to and then so difficult to get off them and some worse than others. Have you thought again about trying longer with the counselling and see how you go?

My daughter finally gave in when she was struggling at Uni with her obsessive compulsive tendencies and her usual social anxiety were actually making her depressed and was she was prescribed Lexapro (escitalopram). She found the first few weeks difficult adjusting, but when she settled she was a different person. So much calmer and happier. She often tells me that she couldn't get by without her Lexapro.

In addition to the medication though, she had CBT (cognitive behaviour therapy) and the two combined was very helpful all around. She doesn't do the therapy route anymore because she's able to manage without and she can get her Lexapro prescribed by a Psychiatrist or her GP.

Zoloft is another that's used for OCD amongst other things. I don't know anything personal about the Celexa and the Wellbutrin though.

I do know that any of these medications can not be stopped abruptly. They must be tapered. Paxil (paroxitine) is notorious for discontinuation problems.

Maybe see how you go a little longer with the counselling sessions. You mention you think your condition is moderate and not "clinical". If you feel you are experiencing temporary rather than severe, persistent symptoms then I'd still talk to your doctor about medication use, but perhaps hold off rushing straight into it.

edited to add; I should have mentioned that my daughter had tried everything she possibly could have up until going on medication. It really was a last resort, but her health issues had deteriorated quite dramatically and were impacting her life in a very negative way.

tnthomas 07-17-2021 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 1294485)
I'm in another country so I am aware that the system is different here but I'm wondering why you are seeing a social worker instead of a psychologist or your doctor?

I'm guessing that is Kaiser Permanente's protocol, perhaps using the LCSW sessions as a preliminary screening. Back in 2014 I had a depressive episode, at that time(if I recall correctly) and my primary care physician did prescribe a SSRI.