NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Weight Loss & Healthy Living (https://www.neurotalk.org/weight-loss-and-healthy-living/)
-   -   Spinal stenosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/weight-loss-and-healthy-living/256971-spinal-stenosis.html)

Januarybaby 08-23-2021 08:52 AM

Spinal stenosis

Hi, I’m newer to the group. But I have just been diagnosed with severe spinal stenosis, I have suffered with depression and anxiety all my life. I was told that weight loss would be good for the stenosis. What is the best diet to make myself healthy.

Lara 08-23-2021 09:47 PM

Abdominal strengthening

Hi Januarybaby. I'm not sure about diets for weight loss specifically but wanted to suggest that stretching and back and especially abdominal strengthening should be beneficial but that's something that you should talk to your doctor or physio about first because you don't want to do any damage.

Someone else may be able to help with the diet hopefully. I eat mostly plant based food (vegetarian) so don't really know much about other types of diets.

welcome to NeuroTalk.

caroline2 08-23-2021 10:35 PM

Well, OP to take off weight the best to do is eliminate White Foods: breads, cookies, donuts, bagels, etc...all those bad carbs.

On the Stenosis, if you can envision this: Lying on your back on floor or bed, bring each knee one at a time to your chest and hold them there, feel the stretch. This feels so good for me and my back and spine issues. I had a video with a picture and tried to post it, but couldn't. This stretch relieves a lot of pressure and tightness. If I can find the photo again I'll try to post but I hope you get the idea. If you need to check with a doctor about doing it for your back. I've lived with decades of back and spine issues, and never a surgery there. A hip replacement yes, and it was not a great success....

Atticus 08-24-2021 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Januarybaby (Post 1295083)
Hi, I’m newer to the group. But I have just been diagnosed with severe spinal stenosis, I have suffered with depression and anxiety all my life. I was told that weight loss would be good for the stenosis. What is the best diet to make myself healthy.

Hey Januarybaby,

There are a wide variety of diets out there and they probably all work if you stick to them, however some diets are great for body composition, eg low carb diet, but not great for health. A good starter would be to visit the website below as it is is so well researched.
If you could publicly declare your intention to lose weight, check progress and set goals on Facebook for example, or even here, you will probably find that is a great motivator. But that may not be for you.

How Not to Diet | NutritionFacts.org

Best wishes,

Atty