NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Bumped my head twice in two days a month after recovery (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/257135-bumped-head-twice-days-month-recovery.html)

sunflower25 10-13-2021 01:46 PM

Bumped my head twice in two days a month after recovery

I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

I got a concussion back in mid July (about 3 months ago) from standing up too fast and whacking my head on the fridge, and had post concussion symptoms (mainly dizziness, fatigue, light sensitivity and mild focus issues.) I didn't develop a headache until later in my recovery. I fully recovered from PCS about 6 weeks after the injury, towards the end of August. Today it's October 12. I hit my head a couple days ago on the top of car while exiting (it was a veryyyy soft bump) but immediately after I felt dizzy and off balance. I don't know if this was an anxiety thing but after getting in the car I felt a little motion sick and we had about an hour of driving left so I took some dramamine, which ended up being a mistake because I felt super drowsy and this further exacerbated my fears that I had another concussion. I was pretty tired, and when I got home I took a nap, and felt pretty fine after that and was able to read a book. Fast forward to the next day, I woke up feeling fine. I went out to run some errands, went to Target, bent down to grab an item and stood up and whacked my head on one of their metal wire shelves, which had a couple of fold out tables stacked on top of it. This time it actually hurt, but the pain dissipated after about 5 minutes. I did again feel a little dizzy while walking through Target. I decided not to get to worked up over it and continued on with my day, and went to the gym (probably a mistake.) After my workout, I felt a little dizzy and pretty exhausted. When I got home, I watched some tv and noticed some slight tension in my head. This morning I woke up feeling very very exhausted, similar to how I felt during my first concussion but not as bad. I napped for part of the day but still feel tired and like I have some brain fog. Does anyone have experience with this? Should I be worried/go back to resting/not doing anything mentally taxing? I can't really afford to take more days off work... Does this sound like I aggravated the old injury?

TLDR: I bumped my head twice after initial recovery. Now I have mild symptoms. Should I be worried ?

caroline2 10-13-2021 03:08 PM

OP: I'm sure some will be along, and all I can say, I would sure be more aware of how I get up and move around etc.

Mark in Idaho 10-13-2021 10:22 PM

Welcome to NeuroTalk,

I'm reposting your post so I can format it for readability.

[I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

I got a concussion back in mid July (about 3 months ago) from standing up too fast and whacking my head on the fridge, and had post concussion symptoms (mainly dizziness, fatigue, light sensitivity and mild focus issues.) I didn't develop a headache until later in my recovery.

I fully recovered from PCS about 6 weeks after the injury, towards the end of August. Today it's October 12. I hit my head a couple days ago on the top of car while exiting (it was a veryyyy soft bump) but immediately after I felt dizzy and off balance.

I don't know if this was an anxiety thing but after getting in the car I felt a little motion sick and we had about an hour of driving left so I took some dramamine, which ended up being a mistake because I felt super drowsy and this further exacerbated my fears that I had another concussion.

I was pretty tired, and when I got home I took a nap, and felt pretty fine after that and was able to read a book. Fast forward to the next day, I woke up feeling fine. I went out to run some errands, went to Target, bent down to grab an item and stood up and whacked my head on one of their metal wire shelves, which had a couple of fold out tables stacked on top of it.

This time it actually hurt, but the pain dissipated after about 5 minutes. I did again feel a little dizzy while walking through Target. I decided not to get to worked up over it and continued on with my day, and went to the gym (probably a mistake.) After my workout, I felt a little dizzy and pretty exhausted.

When I got home, I watched some tv and noticed some slight tension in my head. This morning I woke up feeling very very exhausted, similar to how I felt during my first concussion but not as bad. I napped for part of the day but still feel tired and like I have some brain fog.

Does anyone have experience with this? Should I be worried/go back to resting/not doing anything mentally taxing? I can't really afford to take more days off work... Does this sound like I aggravated the old injury?

TLDR: I bumped my head twice after initial recovery. Now I have mild symptoms. Should I be worried ? ]

>>>

I don't think you suffered a concussion. I think you are overly sensitive to the idea of head impacts and pay too much attention and look for possible symptoms. This is common.

You may have a vestibular issue that needs addressing. Your inner ear may have been disturbed. If a light bump causes dizziness, it suggests a vestibular issue. The movements from working out can too.

I see this last question and get confused. Why should anybody be worried about a past momentary event other than being exposed to illness? You cannot reverse time. Focus on moving forward. Worry will not change the past.

Try to avoid sleeping at irregular times. It messes with proper sleep cycling at normal sleep times. Proper sleep cycling (stages) is very important.

sunflower25 10-14-2021 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1296101)
Welcome to NeuroTalk,

I'm reposting your post so I can format it for readability.

[I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

I got a concussion back in mid July (about 3 months ago) from standing up too fast and whacking my head on the fridge, and had post concussion symptoms (mainly dizziness, fatigue, light sensitivity and mild focus issues.) I didn't develop a headache until later in my recovery.

I fully recovered from PCS about 6 weeks after the injury, towards the end of August. Today it's October 12. I hit my head a couple days ago on the top of car while exiting (it was a veryyyy soft bump) but immediately after I felt dizzy and off balance.

I don't know if this was an anxiety thing but after getting in the car I felt a little motion sick and we had about an hour of driving left so I took some dramamine, which ended up being a mistake because I felt super drowsy and this further exacerbated my fears that I had another concussion.

I was pretty tired, and when I got home I took a nap, and felt pretty fine after that and was able to read a book. Fast forward to the next day, I woke up feeling fine. I went out to run some errands, went to Target, bent down to grab an item and stood up and whacked my head on one of their metal wire shelves, which had a couple of fold out tables stacked on top of it.

This time it actually hurt, but the pain dissipated after about 5 minutes. I did again feel a little dizzy while walking through Target. I decided not to get to worked up over it and continued on with my day, and went to the gym (probably a mistake.) After my workout, I felt a little dizzy and pretty exhausted.

When I got home, I watched some tv and noticed some slight tension in my head. This morning I woke up feeling very very exhausted, similar to how I felt during my first concussion but not as bad. I napped for part of the day but still feel tired and like I have some brain fog.

Does anyone have experience with this? Should I be worried/go back to resting/not doing anything mentally taxing? I can't really afford to take more days off work... Does this sound like I aggravated the old injury?

TLDR: I bumped my head twice after initial recovery. Now I have mild symptoms. Should I be worried ? ]

>>>

I don't think you suffered a concussion. I think you are overly sensitive to the idea of head impacts and pay too much attention and look for possible symptoms. This is common.

You may have a vestibular issue that needs addressing. Your inner ear may have been disturbed. If a light bump causes dizziness, it suggests a vestibular issue. The movements from working out can too.

I see this last question and get confused. Why should anybody be worried about a past momentary event other than being exposed to illness? You cannot reverse time. Focus on moving forward. Worry will not change the past.

Try to avoid sleeping at irregular times. It messes with proper sleep cycling at normal sleep times. Proper sleep cycling (stages) is very important.

Thanks for the reassurance. I’ve been getting headaches again when doing something that requires focus. This is now my only symptom along with abnormal fatigue. Does this still sound like a vestibular and/or psychosomatic reaction? I guess I’m really wondering whether to treat this like a new concussion or just try to go about my day normally

davOD 10-14-2021 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sunflower25 (Post 1296104)
Thanks for the reassurance. I’ve been getting headaches again when doing something that requires focus. This is now my only symptom along with abnormal fatigue. Does this still sound like a vestibular and/or psychosomatic reaction? I guess I’m really wondering whether to treat this like a new concussion or just try to go about my day normally

Ok, I have to ask...Your question is if you should treat this like a new concussion?....What treatment is that?....I sure would hope no matter what you would move on and go about your day...

We cannot change the past, and only what we do now, effects the future....

Worry has never fixed a single problem......

So do your best, never push it...You already know that what brings on headaches.....Take something for your headaches before it gets bad?...If you know what your doing will bring it on, take something before you even start.

I live my life by strategies, and keeping away from the things that are my Kryptonite!

Mark in Idaho 10-14-2021 06:53 PM

sunflower,

You don't treat a concussion. You treat symptoms, whether they are or aren't from a concussion.

"I guess I’m really wondering whether to treat this like a new concussion or just try to go about my day normally "

There is no score card.

If you were told to treat this like a new concussion, what would you do different?