NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Natural Sugar problems (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/257190-natural-sugar.html)

ZippZapp12 11-14-2021 12:25 PM

Natural Sugar problems

Hello,

I have a quick question here. After my workouts I always crave sugar. To deal with my craving, I eat fruit. The problem with fruits is that if I for instance eat sugary fruits like bananas, I experience a trigger in my symptoms.

Now my question is.. Is there anything that can replace fruits? Would sweet potatoes be a better idea after workouts?

This may be a stupid question but I have to ask it anyway.

caroline2 11-14-2021 01:02 PM

A little bit of sugar can't hurt unless you are diabetic or borderline. Don't overdose on sugars. How about an apple or grapes or a Kiwi. Or a little dark chocolate, again moderation.

Jomar 11-14-2021 01:19 PM

Sometimes drinking water can head off a salt or sugar craving..especially after workouts. Cravings may depend on meal timing & fluids pre workouts.

Mark in Idaho 11-14-2021 05:25 PM

Try something that is more complex. Look for food with a lower glycemic rating.

https://healthjade.net/wp-content/up...ex-chart-1.jpg

Peanuts are my go-to.

I have a piece of thin sliced whole wheat bread or cracker gobbed with no sugar added peanut butter (21) and a glass of whole milk.(27) Sometimes, I have low sugar chocolate milk (160 calories in 8 oz just like whole milk.) (35)

The salt in peanut butter can help with salt needs.

** re: "A little bit of sugar can't hurt unless you are diabetic or borderline. " For some of us, that sugar starts a cascade of events. It is an inflammatory food.

There is a term..... tryagnostics. You try different things to diagnose the problem.

caroline2 11-14-2021 07:39 PM

And not everyone can eat peanut based foods, many have high allergies to peanuts. My joints hurt more if I happen to eat them, so no more for me. They are grown underground and prone to fungus. **

Mark in Idaho 11-15-2021 01:44 PM

Caroline,

You are not a brain injured individual. Nobody is suggesting you eat peanuts for energy after a work-out.

The numbers who have true peanut allergies is much lower that those that claim to have peanut allergies. There are peanut desensitization protocols that many use effectively.

Chemar 11-16-2021 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZippZapp12 (Post 1296576)
Hello,

I have a quick question here. After my workouts I always crave sugar. To deal with my craving, I eat fruit. The problem with fruits is that if I for instance eat sugary fruits like bananas, I experience a trigger in my symptoms.

Now my question is.. Is there anything that can replace fruits? Would sweet potatoes be a better idea after workouts?

This may be a stupid question but I have to ask it anyway.

I have bumped up ZippZapp's original post to get this thread back on track

ZippZapp12 11-21-2021 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caroline2 (Post 1296583)
A little bit of sugar can't hurt unless you are diabetic or borderline. Don't overdose on sugars. How about an apple or grapes or a Kiwi. Or a little dark chocolate, again moderation.

For now I have replaced all fruit with sweet potatoes and it seems to work fine. I just can't deal with fruits and it stresses me out.

Thank you for suggesting dark chocolate. I will try out the cacao nibs once a week or once every two weeks. I've heard caffeine is not the best for a concussion so I'm trying to be careful with that.

ZippZapp12 11-21-2021 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark in Idaho (Post 1296590)
Try something that is more complex. Look for food with a lower glycemic rating.

https://healthjade.net/wp-content/up...ex-chart-1.jpg

Peanuts are my go-to.

I have a piece of thin sliced whole wheat bread or cracker gobbed with no sugar added peanut butter (21) and a glass of whole milk.(27) Sometimes, I have low sugar chocolate milk (160 calories in 8 oz just like whole milk.) (35)

The salt in peanut butter can help with salt needs.

** re: "A little bit of sugar can't hurt unless you are diabetic or borderline. " For some of us, that sugar starts a cascade of events. It is an inflammatory food.

There is a term..... tryagnostics. You try different things to diagnose the problem.

I became sensitive to gluten after my concussion so I cannot even eat whole wheat bread. But I've replaced fruit with sweet potatoes for now and it seems to work out fine. Thank you for the answer.

ZippZapp12 11-21-2021 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jomar (Post 1296587)
Sometimes drinking water can head off a salt or sugar craving..especially after workouts. Cravings may depend on meal timing & fluids pre workouts.

Yeah, water is not really helping much, sorry. Thanks though.