NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Sleep Apnea & Sleep Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/sleep-apnea-and-sleep-disorders/)
-   -   Sleep disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/sleep-apnea-and-sleep-disorders/257208-sleep-disorders.html)

Andreas 11-22-2021 09:49 AM

Sleep disorders

Hello,
My son, Kostas is 12 years old and he is been having sleep paralysis since he was 4 year's old. But since he was 11, his tics git worse including his sleep paralysis. Right now. He is having at least 2 episodes every week and he also started having hallucinations 3 months ago. (He also have tourretes) Do you guys think that I should make a doctor appointment?

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 7 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Kitt 11-23-2021 09:54 AM

Welcome Andreas. :Wave-Hello: Someone will be along.

Chemar 11-23-2021 06:35 PM

Hello Andreas
We do also have a Tourette Syndrome forum here: https://www.neurotalk.org/tourette-syndrome/

Anytime a child has worsening symptoms, it's always a good idea to consult a physician that you trust.

Some medications have been known to have a side effect of sleep paralysis and hallucinations, so that is also something to consider.

If your son has a history of strep throat or other infections, you may want to also look into PANS?PANDAS More info at Home | PANDAS Network

There are also many natural treatments to help with Tourette tics Home Page | ACN Latitudes

Andreas 11-24-2021 08:09 AM

Quote:

Anytime a child has worsening symptoms, it's always a good idea to consult a physician that you trust.

Some medications have been known to have a side effect of sleep paralysis and hallucinations, so that is also something to consider.

Thank you so much! Do you think that Risperdal can make his hallucinations, sleep paralysis and nightmares worse?

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 7 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Chemar 11-24-2021 11:29 AM

Risperdal/Respiridone is a very strong antipsychotic that is usually used in Schizophrenia, BiPolar etc

From what I understand, if it is being used "off-label" to treat your son ie he doesn't have those conditions that it is normally prescribed for, then it can cause all sorts of side effects that may be considered "rare" -

I did notice "sleep disturbances" and possible hallucinations/ increased psychosis on some of the side effects listed on a Google search.

Here is one link that has a long list of them - Common and Rare Risperdal Side Effects

Just an example to give on how sometimes even over the counter meds can cause intense side effects - some people get sleep paralysis and strange hallucinatory effects that are like dreams but they are awake and in that "paralysis" mode from Tagamet (an acid reflux OTC med) - this happened to a family member of mine, and I have since found even more reports of that effect. That med is now off the market.

Lara 12-22-2021 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andreas (Post 1296727)
Do you guys think that I should make a doctor appointment?

Hi Andreas, Yes, considering his mix of symptoms, I'd certainly be making a doctor's appointment.

The Risperidone may also be contributing to his "drop attacks" that you mentioned on the epilepsy forum. If the dose is too high maybe it's affecting his blood pressure. Migraines can involve drop attacks as well and migraines are not uncommon in children who have Tourettes Syndrome.

What type of tics does your son show right now and how much are his tics interfering with his daily life. In my experience, that's what it's all about. It's not how they look, it's how they interfere with daily life like at home and school and with his peers.

Some people have quite complex tics that can involve several different muscle groups. It's often very difficult to differentiate whether these movements are tics or stereotypies such as is seen in autism. I can't be of any help regarding seizures or epilepsy I'm sorry, but if that's at all a worry for you then please make sure you see the doctor again.

all the best.

Funkyreptile 01-05-2024 09:35 AM

If your unsure i would always recommend asking a doctor, it’s what thery are there for ! :)