NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Multiple Sclerosis (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/)
-   -   ?O.N., dizzy, tingles. Q. re sides of body! (https://www.neurotalk.org/multiple-sclerosis/257272-dizzy-tingles-re-body.html)

Freesia38 12-11-2021 10:32 PM

?O.N., dizzy, tingles. Q. re sides of body!

Hello!
Gosh, I started posting about my sx 12 years ago!
No dx since then. Left sided tingling and heaviness reduced with a gluten/wheat free diet!
But... now I have eye trouble and never had it before.
So currently have painful Right eye - worse when moving it. Dizziness and the Left sided tingling and heavy leg and lower arm.
Can M.S. show up with SAME side O.N and tingling limbs, or can it be different sides?

AND can you have mild O.N and your vision be ok?

I've seen an optometrist and the tests seem ok, but he said to see my GP for an MRI in case the optic nerve is inflammed at the back of my eye, where their tests can't view properly.

Thanks!
Michelle

agate 12-12-2021 12:38 PM

Welcome back, Freesia38!

ON almost always involves vision problems but those may include diminished color vision or blurred vision--problems you might not have been keenly aware of.

About your other question, MS can do just about anything, or at least it often seems that way.

Are you sure that the optometrist recommended an MRI for diagnosing optic neuritis? I haven't heard of that. Usually a neurologist or an ophthalmologist can see the optic nerve but it does take some skill and training, and maybe the optometrist meant that you need to consult one of those types of doctors.

I believe that the visual evoked potentials test can be useful in diagnosing ON but the easier way is by getting a look at the optic nerve, which is the only nerve in the body that can be seen.

When I was diagnosed with MS, the neurologist had trouble seeing my optic nerve and had to call in another doctor. Together they got it right, and concluded that because I have severe myopia, the optic nerve was particularly hard to see, but they did find it.

Freesia38 12-12-2021 03:42 PM

Hi Agate,
To be honest, I don’t think the optometrist really was sure 100% what to suggest! It was at 'Specsavers' and he didn't fill me with confidence.
I have an appointment with my GP today.
My vision is still ok, so that's a good sign, I hope! Just the eye pain.
I'll post about the outcome.
Thank you! 😊

agate 12-12-2021 03:59 PM

Optometrists are fine when you just need or want a new glasses rx but they're not able to deal with eye problems in any substantial way.

I once went to an optometrist who had fancy computerized diagnostic tools (long before they were much in use) and he came up with a diagnosis of "subcapsular cataract." I went to an ophthalmologist who was all concerned about it and put me through several more tests but the diagnosis was wrong. There was no cataract.

Your eye concerns should be investigated by an ophthalmologist. I hope that you can get some good answers.:)

Freesia38 12-14-2021 05:54 AM

Thank you, yes very true.
My sx have subsided and the GP said it's probably migra with aura.
I'm jut happy that it's gone!