NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Working with a Occupational PT (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/257639-occupational-pt.html)

Seattledrizzle 04-29-2022 05:51 PM

Working with a Occupational PT

Hi All,

I just had my first visit with an occupational PT a few days ago who specializes in neuro-rehab and PCS. Seemed like she knew her stuff - from a concussion clinic, spent time working with UPMC and the Concussion Alliance, was explaining neck injuries & TMJ dysfunction, vestibular rehab tactics took me through several balance drills/gaze work, and was able to see that I had trauma/PTSD just from my eye behavior.

One thing that alarmed me was she had me read a chart, then grabbed my head, and swiveled my head back and forth while I was reading the chart. Her grip was quite firm and while she was moving slowly (no neck shaking or fast swiveling - maybe 30 degrees from side to side), her grip startled my anxiety and escalated my headache. She said that test was routine and had to be done to test my vestibular disorder, noted that my symptoms would probably increase, and apologized.

I'm still pretty shaken up - probably due to PTSD, but I wanted to check-in and make sure that a firm grip and head swiveling can't aggravate a concussion in a significant way

davOD 04-30-2022 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seattledrizzle (Post 1299423)
Hi All,

I just had my first visit with an occupational PT a few days ago who specializes in neuro-rehab and PCS. Seemed like she knew her stuff - from a concussion clinic, spent time working with UPMC and the Concussion Alliance, was explaining neck injuries & TMJ dysfunction, vestibular rehab tactics took me through several balance drills/gaze work, and was able to see that I had trauma/PTSD just from my eye behavior.

One thing that alarmed me was she had me read a chart, then grabbed my head, and swiveled my head back and forth while I was reading the chart. Her grip was quite firm and while she was moving slowly (no neck shaking or fast swiveling - maybe 30 degrees from side to side), her grip startled my anxiety and escalated my headache. She said that test was routine and had to be done to test my vestibular disorder, noted that my symptoms would probably increase, and apologized.

I'm still pretty shaken up - probably due to PTSD, but I wanted to check-in and make sure that a firm grip and head swiveling can't aggravate a concussion in a significant way

Sounds like vestibular problems and she needed to confirm it?....Now maybe talk to her about how you felt after and how you made it worse by worry...She can help you find someone that could help deal with those problems....

Moving your head back and forth wont create, or make worse your injury....But I would defiantly speak to her with your concerns so maybe it wont trigger your PTSD again.....

Mark in Idaho 05-01-2022 01:08 AM

drizzle,

Statistically, you are very unlikely to improve unless you resolve your irrational ideas about head movement. Your willingness to let irrational ideas control your thoughts will destroy your life. I have seen it many times before.

You need to find a way to accept truth.