NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   General Health Conditions & Rare Disorders (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/)
-   -   High blood pressure's neglected sibling, low blood pressure (https://www.neurotalk.org/general-health-conditions-and-rare-disorders/25785-blood-pressures-neglected-sibling-low-blood-pressure.html)

clouds z 08-12-2007 04:50 PM

High blood pressure's neglected sibling, low blood pressure

http://www.goldbamboo.com/relate-tl1124-tr2660.html

Treatment

Low blood pressure that doesn't cause signs or symptoms rarely requires treatment. In symptomatic cases, the appropriate therapy depends on the underlying cause, and doctors usually try to address the primary health problem — dehydration, heart failure, diabetes or hypothyroidism, for example — rather than low blood pressure itself. When low blood pressure is caused by medications, treatment usually involves changing the dose of the medication or stopping it entirely.

If it's not clear what's causing low blood pressure or no effective treatment exists, the goal is to raise your blood pressure and reduce signs and symptoms. Depending on your age, health status and the type of low blood pressure you have, this may be accomplished in several ways:

* Use more salt. Experts usually recommend limiting the amount of salt in your diet because sodium can raise blood pressure, sometimes dramatically. But for people with low blood pressure, that can be a good thing. But because excess sodium can lead to heart failure, especially in older adults, it's important to check with your doctor before upping your salt intake.
* Drink more water. Although nearly everyone can benefit from drinking enough water, this is especially true if you have low blood pressure. Fluids increase blood volume and help prevent dehydration, both of which a

ConsiderThis 08-12-2007 04:53 PM

This is a really useful post, Cloudz, thanks.

I forget that low blood pressure can be caused by insufficient hydration... not drinking enough water.

I'm going to go have some water right now, thank you!!!!!!!!

((((((((Cloudz))))))))))

DreamCaste1 08-16-2007 03:07 PM

Thanks clouds! I have been having trouble with LBP, and one other thing my doctor said is good for easing your BP upwards, is exercise -- light for a small lift in BP -- one must guage the exercise to match the needs involved.
~~DC

clouds z 08-20-2007 02:57 AM

some salt is very bad

i only use sea salt
even some sea salt im not too sure is good
ask health food store

darly314 09-26-2010 03:19 PM

Low blood Pressure treatment

I prefer coffeee and salt to yet another medication. Diuretics & a low sodium diet for hearing loss put me in a coma (GCS 13) 11 years ago; I concluded that led to my now normally low blood pressure (80-90/60-75). Why risk a prescribed medication & side effects when caffeine & salt work ok? Of course, they may NOT work for more severe cases I understand.

Quote:

Treatment

Low blood pressure that doesn't cause signs or symptoms rarely requires treatment. In symptomatic cases, the appropriate therapy depends on the underlying cause, and doctors usually try to address the primary health problem — dehydration, heart failure, diabetes or hypothyroidism, for example — rather than low blood pressure itself. When low blood pressure is caused by medications, treatment usually involves changing the dose of the medication or stopping it entirely.

If it's not clear what's causing low blood pressure or no effective treatment exists, the goal is to raise your blood pressure and reduce signs and symptoms. Depending on your age, health status and the type of low blood pressure you have, this may be accomplished in several ways:

* Use more salt. Experts usually recommend limiting the amount of salt in your diet because sodium can raise blood pressure, sometimes dramatically. But for people with low blood pressure, that can be a good thing. But because excess sodium can lead to heart failure, especially in older adults, it's important to check with your doctor before upping your salt intake.
* Drink more water. Although nearly everyone can benefit from drinking enough water, this is especially true if you have low blood pressure. Fluids increase blood volume and help prevent dehydration, both of which a

TammiLyn_LowBP 12-16-2013 08:07 PM

Diuretic dangers

I think diuretics and years of abusing my body for pathetic attempts at weight loss ruined my body. I was completely "normal" until 31 and then BOOM. I went down twice in 6 months and the docs just can't get my bp up. Right now I am on florinef. I would do anything to preach the dangers of diuretics to young women.

Quote:

Originally Posted by darly314 (Post 698960)
I prefer coffeee and salt to yet another medication. Diuretics & a low sodium diet for hearing loss put me in a coma (GCS 13) 11 years ago; I concluded that led to my now normally low blood pressure (80-90/60-75). Why risk a prescribed medication & side effects when caffeine & salt work ok? Of course, they may NOT work for more severe cases I understand.