NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   “Setbacks” (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/258012-setbacks.html)

Lance__ 11-03-2022 01:01 PM

“Setbacks”

Hi All,

I would really like to hear your feedback on an actual concussion versus a “setback.”

I am currently a 24 y/o male with a history of concussions dating back to 2016.

Over the course of the year, I have had 3 instances that have triggered symptoms. They were all accidental light head hits that were not preventable. They caused headaches and neck pain that lasted a week or so. However, most recently, my girlfriend and I grazed heads in bed one morning. I didn’t even expect symptoms, but here I am 3 weeks later still dealing with the pain. It was such a light head hit that my girlfriend did not remember the event when I told her the next day.

I wish I understood what was happening with my body. I’ve read a lot about neck trauma and the relationship it has with concussions. Is it worth getting my neck looked at? I don’t understand how such a small hit could cause so much pain

Mark in Idaho 11-03-2022 06:43 PM

Lance,

When you realized you bumped your head, did you watch for symptoms to see if it was a concussion? Do you track head bumps?

What is your sleeping posture? Do you use a pillow that lifts your head?

Before I say more, I'll wait for your answer.

DrewDigital 11-06-2022 05:57 PM

It's common for people to have symptoms after minor head bumps. It could be inflammation. Sometimes after multiple head bumps, the brain overreacts and pumps out too much inflammation which causes symptoms.

Listen to your body and rest accordingly to allow the inflammation to subside.

Lance__ 11-07-2022 10:22 AM

Hi Mark,

I sometimes track symptoms/bumps but not always. In the end I know it always causes more stress on myself, so I try my best not to. However, it’s a lot easier said than done.

I use a pillow, but I am a side sleeper. There are times when I wake in the morning my neck is extremely sore.

Jomar 11-07-2022 01:17 PM

Have you ever had any really good soft tissue / hands on therapy for your neck?
Not stretching or strengthing... Massage, ultrasound, Interferential stimulation, manual trigger point etc .
Depending on what and how your previous concussion hits happened, your neck could have been strained. Whiplash, side hits that knocked the head and neck sideways?

The headaches and pain could be from trigger points in your neck and upper back muscles
Neck pain and headaches sound more neck muscle related to me .
Many sites online about trigger points and even symptom matching and locations.

A very good PT can often do a much more complete assessment than most drs will do .
If you are on computers or other devices for work or school, the head forward position is very strenuous on the neck muscles esp if they are strained already..